Sign in to follow this  

2010 won't start without battery

Alright reaching out to see if anyone has any other ideas? Bike starts only if you attach a 12volt charge to it. Once running the stator checks out fine and voltage off the regulator/rectifier is 14v.

Bike continues to run if u remove the 12v but just won't start by kicking it over?

No codes are flashing when hooked up to the fi bulb.

Possibly bad magneto?

Ya I thought cap as well but swapped another in and same thing. Also keeps running without battery so capacitor must be working too.

Could be fuel pump going bad and the extra voltage of the battery gets it started and once it starts it would keep running.

Edited by mx317

Thanks mx317 I'm thinking you could be right on the feul pump as I hear it prime with the battery but not when kicking. Guess I'll have to try to find a new one, then again could be harness too, maybe have to test all leads on it.

Urg money pit.

If post #7 works try to borrow known good generator ROTOR 09-15 (not sure of 16) Symptom fits weak voltage at cranking speeds. Too low to prime pump and fire ignition.

Post #7 doesn't work only starts if I leave the battery hooked up, once running battery can be removed. I've got a rotor on the way so I'll let you know if it helps.

Behind the front # plate in front of the ECU there`s a white plug (capped) . Set your analog multi meter to 25dcv. R/W pos. BK/W neg. Kick thru @ 5 times and tell me what you get.

Well flywheel came today, just put it on and kicked over 5 times suddenly she fired up. I think ok great measure the voltage at the white plug 14.2 Volts running.

Shut her down and try restarting and no such luck no matter how much kicking I do.

Decide to check voltage as per above and I'm only getting 1.7 volts and steadily dropping?

Your close to the bull`s eye. Chin up. Your DC/CDI ignition system requires a minimum 9.5dcv for lift off. Fuel pump is some were north of that.

1.7 represents a near total failure. Look at your wire diagram and track it down. Get the kill switch out of loop first. Don`t worry about

trying to start it. Continue testing as above to the reg/rec. Post #4 is valid. Have you verified your AC inputs?, your DC outputs?.

Thanks guys. I've replaced the voltage r/r already but I'll test it to make sure I didn't get a bad one.

I've tested stator ac voltage and at idle it's above 30 on all phases. For output I'm getting 14.2 dc. So seems like it's a bad connection someone that's bleeding off the voltage when kicking.

I'll start tearing into the wire harness when back from cuba in a couple weeks. Might just order a new harness as the current one seems butchered by the previous owner

Harness is the next place to look. I still feel the fuel pump could be the issue. If you had a friend with a KXF like yours you could swap tanks for a test.

Unfortunately the only guy I know with one similar has his in storage for the winter right now or I'd be putting them side by side and swapping till it worked lol

I wouldn't be surprised with fuel pump being it either but seems strange that it randomly fired up, and works great once it's going. I'm betting it's the harness as I've seen a couple cracks already.

Just did the ohm test on rr tests good. Ok got to pack now thanks everyone.

So went out to kick this beast over again before we leave and thought I'd share my finding.

Bike started but only after tipping it on it right side, this explains why it started when the new flywheel went in as I had it tipped to put it.

So anyone ever heard or the tilt/tip over sensor causing a no start?

Thanks guys. I've replaced the voltage r/r already but I'll test it to make sure I didn't get a bad one.

I've tested stator ac voltage and at idle it's above 30 on all phases. For output I'm getting 14.2 dc. So seems like it's a bad connection someone that's bleeding off the voltage when kicking.

I'll start tearing into the wire harness when back from cuba in a couple weeks. Might just order a new harness as the current one seems butchered by the previous owneranother

another thing it could be it somewhere there could be a partial short  caused by moisture which could be causing the extra drain and discharging the capacitor to quick so check all the plugs and where the wiring has been tampered with

So anyone ever heard or the tilt/tip over sensor causing a no start?

usually it will start then but shut down after a few seconds.

and, it wouldn't make a difference if there's a battery or not