Sign in to follow this  

Flywheel weight

It creates more rotating mass therefore a stronger centrifugal force allowing the motor to turn over and lug easier at low speeds decreasing the need for clutching. The other effect it has is that it will smooth out the hit on your powerband and make the power more tractable. It does not decrease horsepower and will not decrease your top speed. Only power delivery.

I've installed a 9oz FWW on my YZ125, it may sound like that amount would kill throttle response but believe me it doesn't.

(having the wrong jetting will affect your bottom end hit more than a FWW)

Not being a 'pro level' rider, and riding on a tight MX track (many slow, sharp 180° turns)

with it I've found that I'm less prone to stalling the engine during heavy braking or if I'm in the wrong gear during cornering.

Note that in general a disk type flywheel weight has less inertia effect than an actual heavier flywheel,

the disk shaped FWW has some of it's mass centralized versus a heavier flywheel that has most of it's mass along it's circumference.

Who knows, maybe a 9oz FWW may only be equivalent to having an actual 5oz heavier flywheel...

Edited by mlatour