Sign in to follow this  

Shock Spherical Bearing

I'm doing some winter maintenance on my '07 X and I'm curious if the spherical bearing at the top of the shock is serviceable. It moves freely, but one of the seals is a little distorted. I plan on replacing both seals but am wondering if it's recommended or even possible to clean and re-grease the spherical bearing.

if there is play in it replace it ! i have done a one on my 2000 R and it was easy enough a press some heat and a fridge were all good things to have handy i did not a have a press but got it done ..

There is no abnormal play in it. It moves nice and smooth. I think I'll just replace the seals.

sounds good .I had movement in the shock when mounted not a cheap part so worth looking after

The bearing seemed a little stiff so I went ahead and bought a replacement bearing from All Balls. Unfortunately, the new bearing was slightly different dimensionally so I ended up cleaning and reusing the stock bearing. A little contact cleaner and some fresh oil freed it up nicely.

A new OEM bearing is only $21. I think maybe you're thinking of something else.

Edited by mossman77

i know the bearing and for some reason i remember it being quite expensive i will have to check it out ..i am sure it was quite expensive ??

$21 at Partzilla. The All Balls bearing was about the same price. Only reason I got the All Balls is because I wanted the part within a couple days. Now it's a paper weight.

Edited by mossman77