Sign in to follow this  

Darn it!~ Dropped brand new piston

Hey guys! Just returned home from Dirtbike shop with new C piston for YZ 85. Checking it in the cylinder and dropped it on the ground! No freaking way... anyways heres the damage....

Let me know what y'all think, besides me being a totally dip...

IMG_1379.JPG

Edited by William1
Fixed typo

Its above the rings.  Some careful sanding should fix that.  BUT, I would buy a new piston, could be cracked and you can't see it.

• Like 1

Its above the rings.  Some careful sanding should fix that.  BUT, I would buy a new piston, could be cracked and you can't see it.

They crack that easily?

They crack that easily?

They dent that easy?  I wouldn't take the chance, some others would.  BTW, that's a cute little piston. :D

• Like 4

They dent that easy?  I wouldn't take the chance, some others would.  BTW, that's a cute little piston. :D

That cute little piston is ruining my life

• Like 7

Hey guys! Just returned home from Dirtbike shop with new C piston for YZ 85. Checking it in the cylinder and dropped it on the ground! No freaking way... anyways heres the damage....

Let me know what y'all think, besides me being a totally dip...

📎IMG_1379.JPG

That's nothing, sand or file it flush and it will be fine. 

• Like 7

Tell the company it came damaged.... Lol. No that's not right. I would sand it down and run it. How long do you plan on running it?

20 hours or so 

You would in all likelihood get away with running it with no problems as thats not a particularly stressed part of the piston. I would sand it to restore the surface finish just in case to prevent any chance of crack propagation.

• Like 1

what grit sandpaper?

You would in all likelihood get away with running it with no problems as thats not a particularly stressed part of the piston. I would sand it to restore the surface finish just in case to prevent any chance of crack propagation.

I'd probably start with 220 but nothing wrong with using finer, but use a block cause if you just use your finger you'll hit more than the high spot.  With a block you can work just the high spot down.

• Like 1

I'd probably start with 220 but nothing wrong with using finer, but use a block cause if you just use your finger you'll hit more than the high spot.  With a block you can work just the high spot down.

cool thanks

I'm sure it's fine but my OCD would not let me run that.

• Like 1

Sanded down it may be fine,

but for the price of a new piston, would you gamble damaging the cylinder / connecting rod etc. etc.

if for some reason it did create an un-seen fatigue point and does fail at 12 500 rpms.

Personally I wouldn't chance it...

• Like 1

I dropped a Savage 99 butt stock I was working on and  it busted. It was a $500 dollar piece of wood, the lost labor hurt worse. That hurt. You're fine there, use a small fine file followed with a touch of fine emery cloth and I'd guess it'd be ok. 

• Like 1