Sign in to follow this  

Where is the Top Gear style of honesty in reviews?

Some magazines and other media channels can't find a single bad thing to say about crappy bikes, crappy suspension on good bikes, poorly performing gear, etc.. Their ad revenue depends on good reviews but really, no real accurate criticism allowed?

It would be great if the same honesty and frank/harsh criticism existed in bike magazines or online channels. Where do you find honest, no holds barred reviews that are not rank armature You Tube posts from an angry customer?

BTW, I mean the British Top Gear, not the terrible USA version. In fact, I can't recall hearing harsh criticism in the USA version at all (ok, first to admit I could not watch more than a couple shows). It must be nice to not rely on ad dollars to produce a quality magazine or show.

• Like 1

Like you said, top gear is funded by the bbc. Dirtbike mag, racerX, whatever is mostly ad money I'd assume.

If I want a review on something I usually just look online.

I criticized a touratech helmet on another website. A guy that clearly had a financial interest in the manufacturer, nexx, started a war with me, dragged in other vendors and attacked me.

Sometimes it's pretty easy to spot fake reviews. But, people are much more likely to praise something than write a negative review.

Like you said, top gear is funded by the bbc. Dirtbike mag, racerX, whatever is mostly ad money I'd assume.

If I want a review on something I usually just look online.

The chances of getting an honest review out of an industry magazine?! Zero....

I agree I look up bikes every now and then to get a gauge on what's good and what's not. You have to read in between the lines to find the criticism. Sometimes though there's nothing they criticize so I guess that's the best bike out there. 

Be informed.

Just because one guy likes something does not mean you will like it.

Know the brand. Brands tend to be somewhat similar across the model line up and year to year.

I never read reviews. I never test ride. No need. I know what I am getting into by doing my own research and what I like.

If they made brutally honest reviews they would soon be out of bikes to review. Manufacturers would not give them bikes for fear of losing sales due to a review. Researching this site can give you the info you need unless it's a brand new model that no one has.

• Like 1

Television is entertainment.

I used to review products. But I was honest. The companies did not like that. No more free parts, no more reviews. The stupid part is, while I liked nearly every part I got, I can always find fault. Nothing is perfect.

Bad instructions

Hard to open packaging

Poor packaging

Hard to install

Ugly color

Was delivered on a Tuesday

My coffee was cold by the time I was ready to test

Companies need to realize, insignificant complaints are a good thing. Some of the bike reviews, they do do that while at the same time, gushing like a five year old girl over other things. Kind of gross. Readers too, need to understand that most magazine writers are writers and most not experts in their fields. A few are, most are not not.

• Like 1