Sign in to follow this  

cryo freeze

hay guys what are your thoughts on getting parts cryo froze like our counter shafts my boss had all the internals done on his 06 yz250f or what ever those yammers are and I will say a complete different bike I know it makes steel 100% stronger and 30-50% more wear resistant I don't think it costs much they base it off of weight just a thought or something to talk about

As a metallurgical engineer, I can tell you that it absolutely is a good thing to do for steel.  It does not necessarily make the steel stronger, as much as it shrinks and homogenizes the grain structure which makes it much less susceptible to general wear damage and patterns  The critical wear component of a steel alloy iare the carbides which are concentrated at the grain intersections.  So if you have smaller grains, the carbides are more uniformly dispersed across the surface which increases wear resistance.  

As for if it is truly cost effective for the average person with how long parts will last (especially in an XR)?  That is probably the real debate worth having.  For some it will, for many it won't be.

I hear the temp ramp rate is critical for this to be really effective- both down and up?

Just dumping it into LN2 won't really produce effects.

Yes, the entire temperature ramping is a very critical part of the process.  Just dumping or dipping in liquid nitrogen doesn't do anything appreciatively positive in regards to the mechanical properties.  Consider it to be the exact inverse of correctly heat treating something.