Sign in to follow this  

Polishing exhaust

Have a DRD aluminum muffler that I want to clean up to get it looking new, and while I'm at it I might polish it. I've polished aluminum parts before and have lots of fine-grit sand paper and Mothers mag polish to do it, but I don't think I want a full polish on this exhaust. I think I just want it slightly polished, so it looks a little shinier than new and won't get messed up as easily as a fully-polished part. What sand paper grits, or other materials should I use to accomplish this? And when should I use the Mother's?

0000 steel wool is a good non polished finish. As soon as you go to work with the Mothers Ball you'll start getting into the mirror zone. What is your end goal finish?

0000 steel wool is a good non polished finish. As soon as you go to work with the Mothers Ball you'll start getting into the mirror zone. What is your end goal finish?

Ill give the steel wool a try. I thought it was always a good idea to use mag polish, like the original Mother's I have, no matter what the end result is. I just want it to end up as not quite into the mirror zone.

Try the 0000 wool with some WD40, it may give you just what you're after. Kind of polished but not a mirror, it's the combo I use on my silencers.

Good results with the 0000, but I actually want something slightly more abrasive with a little less of a polish. This muffler I'm cleaning up has some weird spots all over it from when I accidentally rode through salt water, and I guess the salt got "burned" to white spots all over the aluminum. The 0000 wool leaves them showing slightly, so should I try 000 or 00 wool?

Edited by rhinoracin
  • Like 1

Use this type cleaner to brighten up tarnished aluminum. I use it on aluminum nerf bars, atv wheels, etc. It gives a white bright dull finish to the aluminum. Then w/ some steel wool, you can polish it up a littler easier to the finish it sounds like you're looking to achieve.

http://www.envirotechcoating.com/products/aluma-brite-aluminum-cleaner/

Green scotch bright pad. Did this to both my dr d pipes and they came out great

Good results with the 0000, but I actually want something slightly more abrasive with a little less of a polish. This muffler I'm cleaning up has some weird spots all over it from when I accidentally rode through salt water, and I guess the salt got "burned" to white spots all over the aluminum. The 0000 wool leaves them showing slightly, so should I try 000 or 00 wool?

Just experiment with the different grades with and w/o the wd40, the green Scotchbrite pads work good too. Only you know what finish you're after but these are all good options short of full polishing.