Sign in to follow this  

Buying and selling bike each year?

Hey everyone,

So I currently have an 07 CRF450R that I've been riding and racing for the last few years and its been a pretty awesome bike! This year I plan on being a weekend warrior and attending all of the weekend races and series that are offered in my area. My question is how are average racers in a Junior or Intermediate class able to have the latest and greatest each year? upgraded everything? I guess it could be that they spend most of their disposable income on the bike and it may be the only activity that they focus on during the spring/summer season. I also wonder if it's smart to buy and sell my bike each year if my friend is able to connect me with a pro rider who gets rid of his "old" bikes the day the next model comes out each year.... 

I'm just looking to hear what what other riders/racers usually do and how they are able to justify having a new bike every season or two seasons? 🙂

Look at what you've just said... You pretty much explained it to yourself... JUNIOR and INTERMEDIATE... Neither of those types of people are going to benefit from a newer bike with mods. They can't even tap into the full potential of a stock bike let alone a modded one. It's all about rider skill at these levels. Your not at any disadvantage on an 07. Don't waste money like everyone else does. Save it all for maintenance and practice days and you'll be kickin the other riders butts new bike or not! I personally think it's completely moronic to buy a new bike every year if your not an A class rider or racing with the pros in supercross.

• Like 1

Most of the guys I'm racing with junior/intermediate don't have 2016 brand new bikes. 2009 and up well maintained bikes. A lot of the juniors their parents pay for everything so they are just happy to be racing.

Most of the people I race with have 2000+ year bikes... Variety of everything. Not very common to see any younger guys racing on their parents money around here. Got a nice local track everyone goes to and it's a pretty good community, everybody knows each other and has a good time. Get the occasional snobby guy from out of town that complains when he gets beat by someone with a 2001 kx125 and he's got a 2015 YZ450. They never come back thank god.

• Like 1

Most of the people I race with have 2000+ year bikes... Variety of everything. Not very common to see any younger guys racing on their parents money around here. Got a nice local track everyone goes to and it's a pretty good community, everybody knows each other and has a good time. Get the occasional snobby guy from out of town that complains when he gets beat by someone with a 2001 kx125 and he's got a 2015 YZ450. They never come back thank god.

Where you ride sounds like a little piece of heaven then.

As for the new bike every year question I would say you are better off using that money for maintenance and buying a new bike once every 10 years, give or take a few.

You did say key phrases like weekend warrior, junior, and intermediate. There is just no need for a new ride every year. Now if you have money to burn it doesn't matter, but I'm guessing you don't since you posted this.

• Like 1

Years ago a young well to do man said" if you have the means to do so I highly recommend it". He was talking about buying a new corvette. He wasn't being snobby. Just honest.

Live withen your means. Better to spend less and have enough left over to enjoy it.

I have rode old bikes my entire life and if anything it has made me a more versatile rider. I'm just now looking at new bikes after 25 years of riding and honestly have no clue what I want. I can tell you though, if I were racing still, it would be on a late steel frame yz250. Doesn't matter that it would be 10-15 years old, it's what I would be fastest on.

I used to buy used bikes for $2-3k every year or so and got tired of fixing people's mistakes and redoing their personalized bikes. Sold my last $2500 special and a few vacation days and at 26 yrs old finally bought my first brand new bike. I like it because now I really don't have the urge for a new bike every year. I've had this bike for 2 years and have added parts that fit it to me and don't see myself selling it anytime soon it's pretty perfect now. And it's a two stroke so I don't have to worry about when the ticking time bomb will go off and basket case the whole bike [emoji9]