Sign in to follow this  

cam position in relation to crank off

Hello everybody,

this is my first post but i was reading and learning most of what i know about motorcycles from tt, so i am around for quite a while already. that means i also searched the forums for an answer to my "situation" but couldnt really find the perfect match for it.

so the thing is i was checking valves on my girlfriends '01 drz400e, and the cams wouldnt want to sit right at compression tdc, but rather sat well a few degrees later so the timing mark was just at the left edge of the sight window. so i thought for the clearances of the valves sake i will not cling to tdc but more to the correct cam positions and the readings were ok, shimmed it and re-measured at the same position, slightly off tdc. but even then, with 15 links from 3 up to 2 up the number 3 arrow on the intake cam was tilted a bit to the left, is that a sign for a prolonged cam chain? if so is it necessary(or wise) to replace it already?

thank you all so much for the sharing of your knowlegde!

edit: 7-8000 km (!! i am in europe, so that equals to 4500-5000 miles) on the bike, mostly ridden rough enduro by the previous owner, and an mcct from tt installed since about 900 miles.

edit2: after reassembling she ran good though, just to state that.

and what i wanted to add too is, at tdc, timing mark exactly in the middle, the cams are even more off, so the intake camshaft even a little bit further tilted to the left than on the picture and the same for the exhaust camshaft, and there was no better way to align the camshafts, by rotating and positioning one or the other camshaft, than what i went with and what you see in the pictures.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Keyman
  • Like 1

yes...a stretched cam chain is likely culprit. You can ride it for awhile longer but plan on replacing it in the near future.

• Like 1

yes...a stretched cam chain is likely culprit. You can ride it for awhile longer but plan on replacing it in the near future.

thanks, will change it sometime this riding season!

mine was exactly the same with 24,000klms, i have my own theory that when sat for a while the chain will elongate due to the oil leaking out of it, similar to a drive chain with no oil or grease, i might be wrong though