Sign in to follow this  

WP 4cs fork solution for smart people

Zip Ty Racing

Ty Davis applied his magic to my new 15 FE 501 which included springs and it works great and it is so much less expensive than what I have been hearing others are paying. Last weekend at round one of the WORCS series in Taft CA. Zip Ty Racing's top rider Dalton Shirley placed sixth so his fix works for the really fast guys also.

Zip try racing does suspension work. What did they do? I'm looking at sending mine off to dicks suspension and its 1000 bucks

Zip try racing does suspension work. What did they do? I'm looking at sending mine off to dicks suspension and its 1000 bucks

He sprung it for my weight and did his fix for the forks and shock. A lot less than $1000 and it included both ends.

Ty would have to give you the details

basically the same mod as Pro Circuit, Race Tech, ESR and some others do.

reference.

Zip Ty Racing has a complete redo/configuration for a very reasonable price.

For reference there are other shops doing the same configuration set up with shared results .

Note none of factory or sattelite teams in any venues from MX to Enduro use the 4CS they use A kit cone valve forks.

See latest Dirt Bike mag and MXA

ZTR 4CS Fork Mods around the paddock.

1) AUG 2015 latest off the shelf Motocross Action has a test with and ESR (Earl Schuler Racing) modded 4CS bike----the ESR mod is the same type as the ZipTy Racing mod, even the same looking base valves (Blu anodized) are used, COMP on both bottoms and REB on both tops. They mention its a little soft for Pro moto, but good for ammies and older class riders---(for me, ammie offroad that sounds good!!). and also mentioned they work better through the travel .

2) AUG 2015 latest issue of Dirt Bike has an ProCircuit modded 4CS bike (Bones Bacon)----It too uses the common ZTR type mod to achieve what they wanted as well. It also has those same looking/shared blue anodized base valves, with COMP at both bottoms and REB at the top of both forks, Pro Circuit even uses 2 red REB knobs with a REB indicator sticker on the left fork.

PS Mike from Race Tech did tell me a while back that they were also finding that the reconfigure is the best, most cost effective (there is always a marketing angle to consider for a business operation) way to get 4CS forks to work well.

This now confirms what Mike Crow told me.

http://www.racetech.com/page/title/FkGV Install WP 4CS Open Chamber

So on the cost effective "base Valve" added "open bath" 4CS reconfigure method, we have ZipTy Racing/ ZTR, Earl Schuler Racing/ESR, Pro Circuit, Race Tech and RT satellite Mike Crow Performance Suspension and ??

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shock-Zone-Suspension-Services/287058958158755

Here's another similar fix for the 4CS Forks.

The Ray Piston Kit for the WP 4CS is a modification kit that changes the fork to have compression adjustment for both valves at the bottom, and rebound for both sides on the top.

It does this by eliminating the check valve needles and incorporates a well designed hydrostop to prevent bottoming out. This allows for a softer feel at the beginning of the stroke. The high flow piston on the base valve improves the feel and performance of the fork. New shim settings are included for the rebound pistons. The shim setting is pre-installed on the compression pistons.

This new system allows greater range of adjustment for the rebound and compression.

Easy to install, with instructions included on the flash drive.

Retail Price- $574.85

title should read for on the cheeeeep people...... Im ok with that.

Edited by robertaccio
  • Like 1

Forgive my newb-ness here, i've only got a handful of hours on my 16 fe350... what is the root issue with the 4cs fork? I just came off a DRZ400s sooo this suspension feels incredible in comparison... just wondering why people are even changing things in the first place? 

• Like 1

you really want an answer.....?.....for most 95% riders probably these forks are good enough. the reason for the real gripes is that mechanically they cannot bleed/flow enough metered oil for "nice" dampening. Due to them having basically 1/2 the dampening capability due to the architecture of the forks one being reb and one being comp instead of 2 and 2 its 1 and 1 for metering valve stacks/sets. so in the search for better dampening folks and companies have been working like mad to get these to bleed sufficient amounts oil through the valve stacks. this thread is about a cheaper simpler solution----just make them into five year old (or more)tech forks, but with all data about those older tech available it is an easily workable engineering task and is relatively less expensive.

Some of the other techs/shops are doing other mods and keeping the std function of the forks in place as well as mixed combos of sets ups that work too, but they are more costly. this mod is the most cost effective method to get the front end to work for higher demand riding. that was my eloquent fork mod speech.

• Like 5

Guys,

Had my '16 501S for some time now and loved everything about it sans the 4CS. Thought I'd mention my experience with Factory Connection and their approach.

After spring change for weight I hit a wall with the mid stroke harsh feeling. Forks were really beating me up. For $280 FC reworked internals and revalved stack and its night and day. The 4CS has limitations, but, I think the FC "fix" has made them much less punishing.

Also, they're fix keeps the unique internal 4CS architecture which I for one really like.

Carry on....

Edited by jbrownmxr
  • Like 2

note also FC is a WP factory authorized dealer/tuner. so they will have the best and latest specs for your 4cs , but being an official dealer i can see that they will keep the system intact of course, which is what many would like, its such a user friendly set up. 

you really want an answer.....?.....for most 95% riders probably these forks are good enough. the reason for the real gripes is that mechanically they cannot bleed/flow enough metered oil for "nice" dampening. Due to them having basically 1/2 the dampening capability due to the architecture of the forks one being reb and one being comp instead of 2 and 2 its 1 and 1 for metering valve stacks/sets. so in the search for better dampening folks and companies have been working like mad to get these to bleed sufficient amounts oil through the valve stacks. this thread is about a cheaper simpler solution----just make them into five year old (or more)tech forks, but with all data about those older tech available it is an easily workable engineering task and is relatively less expensive.

Some of the other techs/shops are doing other mods and keeping the std function of the forks in place as well as mixed combos of sets ups that work too, but they are more costly. this mod is the most cost effective method to get the front end to work for higher demand riding. that was my eloquent fork mod speech.

Ahh I see. Thank you for the actual explanation, very helpful and nicely worded too. 

The fork will most likely always be better than me unless the enduro gods bestow me some jarvis level skill or I win the lotto and can just ride all day everyday. I think i'll put this "fault" in my back pocket as a nice excuse when I slam 🙂 

• Like 1

Guys,

Had my '16 501S for some time now and loved everything about it sans the 4CS. Thought I'd mention my experience with Factory Connection and their approach.

After spring change for weight I hit a wall with the mid stroke harsh feeling. Forks were really beating me up. For $280 FC reworked internals and revalved stack and its night and day. The 4CS has limitations, but, I think the FC "fix" has made them much less punishing.

Also, they're fix keeps the unique internal 4CS architecture which I for one really like.

Carry on....

What they did is updated the valve bodies and removed the check needle to let more oil flow. Then added their shim stack to control the new flow from their valve body design. In the end it has fixed 1/2 of the issues people have with the forks. That is why it's 1/2 the cost and retains the stock configuration. This helps anyone on the fringe of stock tune forks. If your skill is high "C" or above it would pay to go the Ty route.

note also FC is a WP factory authorized dealer/tuner. so they will have the best and latest specs for your 4cs , but being an official dealer i can see that they will keep the system intact of course, which is what many would like, its such a user friendly set up. 

I feel it's more of a profit thing. I don't know of anyone that would prefer easy to use over great handling.

Will be sending our forks out next month but didn't want to ship across the country. I have several tuners locally here and most I feel don't fully fix the issue or big $$. Getting info from these guys is a PITA!

Edited by weantright
  • Like 1

Well its been roughly a year on the FE350 and roughly a year since I read this thread and thought I'd never need to do anything with my suspension beyond setting it up for my weight ... welp, now its time to do something about this suspension. 

Is the zipty solution still the way to go for cheap asses like me?

Ive also read that just appropriate race tech springs, removing some oil and/or a different weight oil gets the same result... It doesn't seem like just doing that would address the issue with these forks but IDK jack about suspension other than setting a stock bike up for my weight. 

Well its been roughly a year on the FE350 and roughly a year since I read this thread and thought I'd never need to do anything with my suspension beyond setting it up for my weight ... welp, now its time to do something about this suspension.

Is the zipty solution still the way to go for cheap asses like me?

Ive also read that just appropriate race tech springs, removing some oil and/or a different weight oil gets the same result... It doesn't seem like just doing that would address the issue with these forks but IDK jack about suspension other than setting a stock bike up for my weight.

I did the race tech conversion and used some zip ty parts. It has worked out really well for me. I would definitely recommend aeo Powersports in Phoenix if you want to keep the 4cs, or race tech/zip ty if you want to get rid of it. There are a lot of options out there. Just make sure you do plenty of research so you don't waste your money

• Like 2

TBT suspension did my 15 Fe350s. Front now has compression and rebound in each fork. Rear converted to bladder. Around $700-750. The ride is now perfect!