Sign in to follow this  

Looking for some advice on a Trail bike.

I don't post often, or ever, but I lurk around here all the time. Recently moved home to Colorado from Oklahoma. While I lived in Oklahoma, I spent lots of time riding a sport bike before I sold it and moved back to riding dirt. I spent a couple of years riding an 05 YZ450F in the woods at places like Stillwater 500, Gruber, Mena state park, Crossfire in OKC, etc. all of which is mostly single track. I got rid of the 450 in trade for a KTM 525 that needs to be rebuilt, so there is my big bike fix once I finish it. 

What I have been leaning towards is a woods bike in the 250 arena. While growing up in Colorado I rode 2 strokes, and while I have a soft spot for them, I want a 4 stroke these days. I got tired of working my ass off trying to ride that monster 450 in the woods, and kicking that bastard when it flooded. So what I want in single track is a woods bike, with an e-start (I'm 40, I don't give a damn if it is a p/wuss button...I've kicked enough in my life), that won't wear me out like the 450. I'm a big guy, 6'0" and 260 ish with the gear. 

I'm really interested in a KTM250xcf-w but wanted opinions on other bikes. This is gonna be a go out and play bike, maybe the occasional hare scramble once I get in better shape. 

So the question is this.....what other bikes are comparable to KTM's 250 xcf-w? I know Husky, GasGas, Beta, and Yamaha have bikes....I'm looking for advice/experience on these other brands. Reliability and ease of riding (whatever that is) is what I'm looking for mainly. Maintenance costs/ease of maintenance are prolly a close second. 

Thanks

You didn't mention if looking for a new or used bike?

If a new bike, how about a Yamaha YZ250FX ?

Edited by mlatour

You'll be cursing a 250F even more than a MX 250 if you stall it when it's Hot!  Some of the 4 strokes can be a MF'er to get started again if you stall 'em hot (not sure about the newer FI bikes though).  

After years of a couple 250 2Ts and a KTM 300 XC I'm thinking about switching over to a 4 stroke like the KTM 250xcf-w myself, but there's a part of me that wants to give a 200xcw or a even a YZ144 a try.  I have an XR600 for everything except the most gnarly single track.

Well the problem sort of rectified itself. The wife and I had to kill time before an appointment and stopped by local KTM shop just to kick tires. Sales guy shows me a 350, which I liked. Then he pulled out the six day version just to compare and my wife said, that's pretty...get that one.  :jawdrop:  :goofy:  :ride:

So I pick it up next weekend. Now I have to find some where near Denver to ride it at....

• Like 1