74 Ossa Explorer

Does the black paint have to all come off? Consider lightly sanding and then wiping clean with isopropyl alcohol (wear nitrile gloves). At that point, I would apply primer. Next, apply the top coat. I get decent results with a rattle can. Very cool bike by the way. 

I just picked up a Ossa Explorer. It's in really good shape except someone painted it black. I want to paint it white with a blue stripe. What's the best way to strip paint off fiberglass?

I'm in the fiberglass paint stripping process myself on some Rickman glass, I read about CitrusStrip on a boating website. I tested on a small area first. It doesn't attack the gel coat like some others I tried. Nice citrus smell too.

These parts had many layers of paint. Also worked well on another piece which had epoxy paint.

Available at Home Depot.

Before & after photos attached.

strippper.jpg

IMG_1059.JPG

IMG_1062.JPG

I'm getting my Ossa Explorer set up like a Ossa MAR trials for the vintage trials that starts here this spring. I have plastic fenders to install, MAR tank (needs paint and sealing), extra side panels (white with blue stripe). I'm also replacing the 13 tooth front sprocket with a 11 tooth one to gear it down for trials. Anyone think of anything else I can do to my bike to get it ready? I'm cleaning up and restoring all the original parts that I took off (alloy fenders, Explorer bronze color tank and side panels, head light) I'm looking for a MAR seat so I can save the excellent shape Explorer seat. Also looking for a taillight and speedometer.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453428941.385300.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453428977.675633.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453429005.312038.jpg

I don't see anyplace to fill the transmission oil on the Explorer. Anyone know anything about changing the transmission oil on the Ossa's?

On the clutch side, there is a small cover with the OSSA leaf (I understand really a stylized shutter)- held on with two screws.

You fill there.

I have a 74 Explorer also (plus a 2014 Explorer) and 72 MAR (with. Pioneer engine)

Mine has very, very low hours- I bought it from the original owner.

You may want to do a leak down and verify the crank seals are good, or just replace them. The flywheel side especially seems to fail from age.

I changed to an OKO carb (Atlantic Trials) and it works wonderfully. The original Amal was having leaking issue and the OKO is very inexpensive, but works great.

Not a huge different between the MAR and Explorer- little things.

You can buy reproduction alluminum fenders pretty cheap also.

Mark

5190360404108723674074940dfbcc85_zpsknee

• Like 1

Mark, nice Explorer! It's been a long time since I replaced crank seals on a bike. I know some bikes you don't need to split the cases to replace the seals. How hard are the seals to replace on the 74 Explorer?

What transmission oil are you using in your Explorer? Thanks, Ash

Seals are pretty easy.

The flywheel side, pull flywheel and Motoplat (mark it first)

Hook the old seal out, find a suitable driver to push the new one in.

Clutch side can be a bit more effort.

(Depending on the Cush drive)

But no splitting cases.

Both of the older OSSAs I have right now had bad seals. I sourced them form a bearing supply house- but the usual OSSA suppliers carry them also.

Symptoms I saw.

Hard to start (especially cold- OSSAs usually are VERY Easy starters)

High, hanging idle.

Mark, thanks for the info. Mine didn't start easy but the carb is dirty. It didn't seem to idle high though. I'll order the seals and have them on hand. I have both tanks off getting ready to seal both then paint. I haven't got into the carb yet but I have read that the OKO carbs were a great improvement over the old stock carb.