exerciser machine?

This may not be the right place in the forum for this question, so admins feel free to move if appropriate.....

I'm 42 and love riding. I have a desk job and get very, very little exercise. In my older age, I am beginning to feel the lack of exercise kicking in so I am wanting to start doing a little to help out my aging body. My main focus is not to get into race shape. I don't race any more and just ride for fun. But I am thinking as I get older, its getting more important to keep up on core muscle strength to not only help with riding, but help with injury as well. 

My wife and I are looking at getting either an elliptical machine, or rowing machine. Keep in mind whatever we buy will not be top of the line. So in your experience, which would be a better machine for general exercise to get the heart pumping, but still work those core muscles a bit? We had a cross country ski machine for a few years, and I kind of wish we wouldn't have sold it. But it also seemed to cause me back pain if I used it for more than 20 to 30 minutes at a time.

Andy advice would be greatly appreciated!

This belongs in health and fitness, but my input anyway.  I have a treadmill and an elliptical.  I use both, but I prefer running outdoors, but with a foot of snow on the ground that is a pain because I run the hills out behind the house.  As for the machines, I prefer the treadmill and like some of the programs.  Between your 2 choices I would go with the elliptical.

EDIT:  LOL, seems it was moved to the proper forum. ?

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

I have an inexpensive elliptical, and I like it. I particularly like it since I ACLed myself and developed some arthritis in my other hip. I can definitely get a good cardio workout with it. I used to run, but with the hip, I can't take the pounding anymore. I'm looking forward to a hip replacement before too long.

Several years ago I bought a BowFlex from a guy off Craigslist. It cost less than 25% of what a new one cost at the time, and I've used the heck out of it. I've even replaced some of the smaller rods on it from use. I think these machines are awesome, but I wouldn't buy one new even though if you do, you can get the replacement rods free.

I think of all the things one can buy, exercise equipment may be one of the things best bought second hand. Folks get high minded ideas of fitness, buy nice expensive things, then don't use them. You can always find these things cheap if you watch craigslist for a month. My wife has a friend whose husband recently passed away and she's looking to get rid of a BowFlex TreadClimber. This is a $3,000 piece of equipment looking for a home. She'd probably sell it for nothing. Treadmills are not my thing, but if I didn't have the elliptical, I would buy it.

My question about rowers is do you feel that it is overall better for your core (I'm just thinking of the movement and muscles it seems to activate) than say trying to blast those muscles individually? I have never rowed but it looks like you could get ripped on a rower.....I likey

My question about rowers is do you feel that it is overall better for your core (I'm just thinking of the movement and muscles it seems to activate) than say trying to blast those muscles individually? I have never rowed but it looks like you could get ripped on a rower.....I likey

I'm a 51 yr old B rider with a desk job also. I've been using a Schwinn AirDyne for the past two years, if you go hard on it you get a very good work out for the legs & arms.

I've been interested in a rower to also work the core so this week I signed up for a rowing class using a water rower. http://www.indorow.com/the-indoor-group-rowing-class-program/

Wow! if you want a full body workout in a short amount of time get a rower! I can really feel it today.

Here is a link to Concept 2  http://www.concept2.com/

Anyone selling a rower????

Good Luck!

Edited by Treesmacker
  • Like 1

Rowers are all over, arms, core, legs. You can also vary your stroke to put more emphasis on legs vs arms.

Not that effects my opinion but you'll see a lot of pro riders using the rower for training as well...

• Like 3

rowers are a pretty awesome exercise for riding dirtbikes. the problem is i don't enjoy them, so I play hockey 2-3 times a week instead. I don't much care for any exercise machine, but I can at least tolerate eliptical for 15-20 mins to warm up before i lift.

I was running late this morning and knew I couldn't get in my full workout so I tried the Concept 2 they have there. You guys are right it was great. All I did was 30 minutes. I concentrated on technique- legs core arms reverse and it was good work.

Ear buds helped but I remembered why I cycle for cardio haha. I think this will be good this winter.....thanks fellas

Edited by mikerides33

Great feedback everyone.... thanks! I was hoping to get helpful advice and I did....... Looks like my search for a rowing machine has begun!

The AirDyne will give you a good workout too. You can find them for $100 on Craigslist and they are built

to last 30 yrs.

• 2 weeks later...

Concept 2!        Yes its pricey, but when I ordered mine, all I could find were 10 year old units for sale at 60% + of the original price.   If you don't like it, I guarantee you can get rid of it, (on here!)

I'm mid 50's with no ACL in one leg, and tons of other injuries and I still love it.   Truly a great piece of equipment.  Its addictive!.  I use wireless headphones and watch movies.  Add a heart rate monitor and a free iphone app and you've got a gym quality workout with enough data to train yourself.

• Like 2