Sign in to follow this  

Drz sproket swap insanity

I know this has been gone over more than once so bear with me. I have read re-read the post multiple times with all the options and variables between Drz400S & SM & E and then add in a big bore kit. I am completely lost

I have a Drz400s only mod is 3x3 its running a 14 front and 44 rear sprocket.

I am looking for some input on sprocket selection for this particular riding scenario.

I need a highway gear where I can cruise easily at 70 mpg. 

Once I get off the highway I swap the chain and front sprocket over to an off road set up.

15/44 is stock for the S model.  OK for freeway but many like a more relaxed pace so 16/44 is the answer.

14/44 works or off road as long as it is mild off road.  13/44 is closer to real off road gearing.

So a switch between 14/44 and 15/44 may give you want you want. (probably no need to change chains)

Or 13/44 to 16/44 for a more dramatic ratio change. (likely will need to change chains)

• Like 2

I don't think a 16 tooth front sprocket will fit in the drz400 with the chain guide case saver. I'm running 14-45 on my drz400. It works great off road and the vapor gauge shows 6300 rpm at 70 mph. Right in the middle of the rev range. With 14-44 I'd guess your turning 6000 at 70 so should be fine. My bike doesn't make a whole lot of power below 4000 rpm so I'd suppose your just fine the way you are.

:-)

• Like 1

tell us more about what your concerns are. Seems easy enough just to put on a 15 for the hiway and 13 for the trails, I've done that quite often, without changing chains. Haven't had the cover/case saver off all year, no problems.  Lately been using 16/43, love it on the hiway, with just a little grinding of the swingarm guide.  If you have a good chain and master link on, and maintain it well, chances of the chain breaking are slim to none.

Edited by bucket list
  • Like 3

Noble got me squared away.... I went ahead and ordered a 13 and a 15 and will keep the 44 rear..

No concerns just confused.. I have dyslexia and when the numbers start pouring in like with Musclegarunts comment it turns into a blur. Him running a 14/44 6300 at 70 14/44 turning 7000  1.21 gigawatts?! Great Scott when this baby hits 88 mph we are going to see some serious shit.

Its all great info i just needed it simple stupid.

• Like 1

I know this has been gone over more than once so bear with me. I have read re-read the post multiple times with all the options and variables between Drz400S & SM & E and then add in a big bore kit. I am completely lost

I have a Drz400s only mod is 3x3 its running a 14 front and 44 rear sprocket.

I am looking for some input on sprocket selection for this particular riding scenario.

I need a highway gear where I can cruise easily at 70 mpg.

Once I get off the highway I swap the chain and front sprocket over to an off road set up.

I've got 15/41. Works good on-off road...who the hell needs a 6th gear? LMFAO
  • Like 3

I'm so simple stupid I run 15/47 all the time.  :doh:

I had the dirt wheels on this fall with the stock E gearing 14/47 and I didn't switch back. LOVE the grunt and easy wheelies, I think 15/47 might be a real nice compromise since I dont' take this bike over 60mph.  

• Like 2

I had the dirt wheels on this fall with the stock E gearing 14/47 and I didn't switch back. LOVE the grunt and easy wheelies, I think 15/47 might be a real nice compromise since I dont' take this bike over 60mph.

I think you'd like the 15/47 then. Just like you, I put on the 14/47 and haven't changed back. My other set still has a 44, so 14/44. It will be comfortable at 60 mph.
  • Like 1

I like the 15-47 too......plenty of low end for offroad and it can do 70 easily on the asphalt.

Switching back and forth every time you transition from pavement to dirt will get old very fast.......jmho 😉

• Like 3

I swapped to 15/48. Very good ratio for dirt roads and fire service roads. Single track is pretty good. Could be lower. Highway?? Yeah, not too good.

14/44 is almost equal to 15/47 (3.14 vs 3.13) I can run highway speeds when needed and find it fine for the woods. 

Edited by Bandit0
  • Like 2

I've been all the way up and down all the gearing combos, and now trailer to the "off road" riding and change gearing at home when needed.

I don't have to dress (too) warm for the early road ride, then sweat all day on the trails, and fight the traffic to get back home when I'm tired.

I can get to the trails earlier, stop on the way to or from, stay longer, and not have idiots trying to share a lane with me on the way home.

jmo

2GenLoaded_zpsvio1shjm.jpg

Edited by Kenstone
  • Like 1

I like the 15-47 too......plenty of low end for offroad and it can do 70 easily on the asphalt.

Switching back and forth every time you transition from pavement to dirt will get old very fast.......jmho 😉

You do 70mph with that gearing?  It must be screaming well over 7k rpm's.  My nerves would be frazled if i had to go any distance.  With my 16/43 i can cruise at a calibrated 100kms (62mph) only revving at a relaxed 5,700rpm. 1st is a little high for tight singletrack or getting stuck on hills, but i usually decide in the morning what i'm going to do and decide on the gearing.

Tight singletrack with little roads 13/43

Some hiway and easy singletrack 15/43

Mostly hiway and forest service roads 16/43   (all with the same chain)

Agree'd that would get old switching several times a day.

Just thinking a Recluse might make that higher gearing usable in the woods.   ohhhhh.

Edited by bucket list

You do 70mph with that gearing?  It must be screaming well over 7k rpm's.  My nerves would be frazled if i had to go any distance.  With my 16/43 i can cruise at a calibrated 100kms (62mph) only revving at a relaxed 5,700rpm. 1st is a little high for tight singletrack or getting stuck on hills, but i usually decide in the morning what i'm going to do and decide on the gearing.

Tight singletrack with little roads 13/43

Some hiway and easy singletrack 15/43

Mostly hiway and forest service roads 16/43   (all with the same chain)

Agree'd that would get old switching several times a day.

Just thinking a Recluse might make that higher gearing usable in the woods.   ohhhhh.

Don't have a tach, but yeh, it's screaming. Everyone here has said the Z likes the high rpms, and since I'm not on the road very often, (actually from one dirt trail to another) I don't pay too much attention to it. Stock the bike comes with 15-44, so the difference isn't Huge......

I've been all the way up and down all the gearing combos, and now trailer to the "off road" riding and change gearing at home when needed.

I don't have to dress (too) warm for the early road ride, then sweat all day on the trails, and fight the traffic to get back home when I'm tired.

I can get to the trails earlier, stop on the way to or from, stay longer, and not have idiots trying to share a lane with me on the way home.

jmo

I thought you were buying a different bike?

jmo

I do the same for what it's worth......keeps the dirt tires muy bueno for dirt. There are a couple of asphalt roads out there that I take as short cuts once in a while. It's amazing how sure footed that bike is on asphalt compared to dirt. Leaning in the turns you feel infallible.

Wouldn't trade the dirt tho, that's where all the exploring takes place.......awesome!

edit: really like your trailer by the way.......very SWEET! 😏

Edited by Signman606
  • Like 1