Beware of green slime low water crossings

I have this green slime low water crossing, that I cross to play down in this creek bed.  Well I normally just carry momentum across with clutch about half way pulled in (no issue).

Well coming back last week, I didn't carry enough momentum and just barely touched the throttle , and back instantly broke lose sideways, I mean slicker than ice(WAM). Any way the clutch lever broke right at the break away point , it was designed to do. So Id been running around with 1 and 1/2 finger clutch lever for the past week.

Oem prices for these levers locally, is about $60 otd, so I was researching alternative levers including ktm power part forged levers. What I discovered its still not the quality set up of oem.

The oem uses a larger diameter hole with a sleeve, the after market part just uses a bolt, usable but I want them brembo oem set up, and quality level of feel.

The oem kit comes with lever, grease, a new spring and little black rod and sleeve.

Here is a review of endure 360's aftermarket lever, see what they had to say.

I was able to find the oem set up shipped for $46, so that was not bad.

http://www.enduro360.com/2014/02/19/products-tested/tusk-ktm-clutch-lever-review/

Edited by Spud786

No wrap around hand guards for you Mr. Spud? ?

Id been okay with the stock ones, but I noticed now a crack in one(fixed temporarily), and being they are like $50, I'll probably upgrade to atleast the wrap around plastic ones.

I have this green slime low water crossing, that I cross to play down in this creek bed. Well I normally just carry momentum across with clutch about half way pulled in (no issue).

Well coming back last week, I didn't carry enough momentum and just barely touched the throttle , and back instantly broke lose sideways, I mean slicker than ice(WAM). Any way the clutch lever broke right at the break away point , it was designed to do. So Id been running around with 1 and 1/2 finger clutch lever for the past week.

Oem prices for these levers locally, is about $60 otd, so I was researching alternative levers including ktm power part forged levers. What I discovered its still not the quality set up of oem.

The oem uses a larger diameter hole with a sleeve, the after market part just uses a bolt, usable but I want them brembo oem set up, and quality level of feel.

The oem kit comes with lever, grease, a new spring and little black rod and sleeve.

Here is a review of endure 360's aftermarket lever, see what they had to say.

I was able to find the oem set up shipped for $46, so that was not bad.

http://www.enduro360.com/2014/02/19/products-tested/tusk-ktm-clutch-lever-review/

Some green slime in Baja that makes greased ice look like sandpaper.
  • Like 2

Check out the Mid West MT Engineering lever or buy a cheap lever and drill the hole to fit a small needle roller bearing.

I saw those utilizing the needle bearing, they do require a different shouldered bolt. The oem bolt is threaded all the way through. THe little extra unused screw kit, the bike came with looks to have such a bolt.

After reading that article, I just didn't want to risk poor action, the oem set up is very nice.

Speaking of hand guards, I noticed the stock one come with built in plastic covers over the lever pivot points.  I guess you lose that feature with aftermarket ones, and have to buy the rubber covers off an sx or something?

I was kinda wondering if the ktm plastic power part wrap around guards, would also have to buy the rubber covers also, or do they have something built in?

Edited by Spud786

Speaking of hand guards, I noticed the stock one come with built in plastic covers over the lever pivot points. I guess you lose that feature with aftermarket ones, and have to buy the rubber covers off an sx or something?

I was kinda wondering if the ktm plastic power part wrap around guards, would also have to buy the rubber covers also, or do they have something built in?

You mean these? Should have come with the bike.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1452815282.004397.jpg

You mean these? Should have come with the bike.

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1452815282.004397.jpg

Actually I meant these , but in orange.   You had to buy the rubber pivot covers?           but yes I meant the rubber covers, my bike didn't come with them, I guess cause the oem guards didn't require them, unless the shop kept them.

http://www.wmr1.com/product-p/7800207910004.htm

Edited by Spud786

Actually I meant these , but in orange. You had to buy the rubber pivot covers? but yes I meant the rubber covers, my bike didn't come with them, I guess cause the oem guards didn't require them, unless the shop kept them.

http://www.wmr1.com/product-p/7800207910004.htm

No, I meant the rubber covers in the picture. My bike came with the orange plastic guards like your picture (but in orange). But in a bag they gave me the rubber covers for when I took off the plastic guards.

You are lucky you only broke your levers.  A buddy of mine hit the "Green Slime" in Arrowhead and broke his shoulder and collar bone.  He was out for a year and has never been the same rider since.  I hate all water crossing, even when there is no water in them.........

• Like 1

I was pretty much stopped when I fell over, just slid right out, only reason I touched the throttle , I thought I was out of it , and had lost low speed momentum.

Years ago I was riding with some dual sporters, and we came up to one of these green slime low water crossings,  guy was on a bwm 650, he took the lead and thought it would be funny to rip the throttle and splash water.  He was carrying a lot of speed , and he clutch it and ripped that throttle, and you guessed it one of the  hardest (instant) face plants you'd even seen . He broke levers , mirrors , his body ect.  He was in Pain!