Sign in to follow this  

Weird finish new Hotcams shaft..... ?

Just received a new Hotcams camshaft from ebay... but it looks different from the 2 previous ones I received in the past!
It doesnt have the black coating, the bearing positions don't look like a fresh ground surface and it has punched in letters and numbers instead of the lasered ones.
Check out the pics... I've also attached a "normal" one..

Did anyone receive a shaft like this ?? Wondering if it can be normal or I have to send it back... :-( 

20160113_191328.jpg

20160113_191416.jpg

20160113_191428.jpg

20160113_191449.jpg

20160113_191526.jpg

HC_1004-1.jpg

Edited by Ilja

Odd....probably not an issue though,,but usually the center bearing surface is polished,,,make sure you set the clearances to their specs,,not Honda specs...use assembly lube on the lobes..

you can always email HOTCAM though to verify there wasn`t a screwup..

B

Edited by brianhare
  • Like 1

Odd....probably not an issue though,,but usually the center bearing surface is polished,,,make sure you set the clearances to their specs,,not Honda specs...use assembly lube on the lobes..

you can always email HOTCAM though to verify there wasn`t a screwup..

B

I now about the clearances... I screwed up the first hotcams shaft and rockers I had on my first xr600, all lobes were gone but middle bearing still perfect. Set the clearances too tight, honda spec instead of hotcams.. :(

The second hotcams was still perfect when it came out 10.000km later.

But this one.... what the hell man.. 

I just send the pictures to hotcams for verification... hope they will respond! I have a 102mm JE piston waiting to go in...   🙄

Edited by Ilja

Hotcams. You pay your money and you take yer chances.

NOT a fan of Hotcams.

Where did you purchase this cam? Was off eBay or reputable company? Thanks.

Where did you purchase this cam? Was off eBay or reputable company? Thanks.

You got that right . eBay OR reputable company . 

I could post a picture of a Webcam that looks exactly the same. And a couple sets of Richmond 9" gears I'm installing too. It's just a dry film moly assembly lube sprayed or dipped on the entire shaft rather than just the lobes. With gears I just remove it from bearing surfaces since there's no oil filter to plug up. I prefer to remove the coating entirely from cams before installing. Just wash that black stuff off with some Berrymans or similar and put a non moly based assembly lube on the lobes and rocker followers. Moly clogging up the tiny Honda oil filters could be the cause of Hotcam and other cam failures. With the low pressure-high volume oiling system Honda uses a restricted filter might be exactly the reason for so many cam/rocker disasters heard so often on TT.

Edited by valvesrule
  • Like 1

I could post a picture of a Webcam that looks exactly the same. And a couple sets of Richmond 9" gears I'm installing too. It's just a dry film moly assembly lube sprayed or dipped on the entire shaft rather than just the lobes. With gears I just remove it from bearing surfaces since there's no oil filter to plug up. I prefer to remove the coating entirely from cams before installing. Just wash that black stuff off with some Berrymans or similar and put a non moly based assembly lube on the lobes and rocker followers. Moly clogging up the tiny Honda oil filters could be the cause of Hotcam and other cam failures. With the low pressure-high volume oiling system Honda uses a restricted filter might be exactly the reason for so many cam/rocker disasters heard so often on TT.

Hmmm I'll try cleaning it but I think that theres not really a moly coating on it to be honest.

Really looks and feels like bare metal. But maybe your right, I'll check later tonight.

The oil holes are also not chamfered but just a bare drilled. Really strange.

Yes purchased through ebay but I also purchased the previous two via ebay along with 100dreds of parts without any issue.

The hotcams failures are due to:

- Valve clearance too tight

- Oil pump not primed

- Running low on oil.. big thumpers USE oil + are hard to check for oil level, you really need to keep it topped up.

- Too much heat from a high compression build and using the bike in single-track conditions.. 

- Crashing the bike, with the engine that keeps on running while unable to suck oil in, de-priming the pump.

Thats a lot of possibilities...so also a lot of chances. :-(

I've noticed that when I use the bike only on the street, I have zero issues. Using it as an SM now since I race enduro with my husaberg fe450. :-)

Edited by Ilja

I received an answer from hotcams:

IIja,

After viewing the pictures that you have provided, we can see nothing that would make us think there is anything wrong with the camshaft that you have. I have also double checked the application and it is the correct camshaft, you can run this cam without any worries.

Thank you,

Matt

Somehow my gut tells me this is not the case.. surface looks pretty rough and I can't clean anything off also.
Think it's an old stock one...from before they started making the coating stuff, and perhaps it oxidized a bit.

Edited by Ilja

Let me explain - Hot Cams changed their process to ion nitriding from phosphating. Nitriding leaves a chalky film. The cam is ran through a vibratory cleaning machine that removes the chalky film. Your cam is fine go ahead and run it.

Let me explain - Hot Cams changed their process to ion nitriding from phosphating. Nitriding leaves a chalky film. The cam is ran through a vibratory cleaning machine that removes the chalky film. Your cam is fine go ahead and run it.

Hmmm, that explains it pretty much. I think you are right, didnt think of that. :-)

Thanks!

Edited by Ilja

Valvaesrule beat me to it , but I've seen some Web Cams and a few other parts come in all black and not pretty looking from the thick protectant, but it just comes off and polishes up nicely . They don't rust while sitting on a shelf somewhere's this way .

I also wouldn't be surprised if some of those Ebay sellers get parts that don't pass the highest quality standards that good companies insist on , but usually still ok , just not perfect , either just appearance issues or hungover employee monday morning parts . May be why the holes aren't chamfered (I'd do it before installing) and the stamped numbers. Make sure the oil holes are all clean and clear of anything also.

Edited by jjktmrider

Mega Cycle cam and rockers

This is Brian's, Techforlife's cam. Running strong way up north.

DSC_0724.JPG

DSC_0726.JPG

DSC_0727.JPG

Edited by mcma111

Yup...and that cam from Meagacycle is wearing perfectly and the rockers too after 2 years and 15k..

Thanks again Steve for getting that done for me,,i owe you alot for all the help,,,not sure i could ever repay the help

you gave me on that... 👍

B

Here's one of the sets of Web Cams I'm trying for a current stroker motor , bucket & shims setup not rockers . These have the grey moly coat on the lobes , 

DSCN1395_zps951hgltj.jpg

DSCN1394_zpsytsm6eu6.jpg

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1