Sign in to follow this  

250x top clamp compatibility

I'm new to the Yamaha game and just picked up a 250x, I still ride and race a 15'husqvarna te300. Even with the bars mounts as far forward as they will go the bars still feel like they're in my lap.

Would anyone happen to know if any year four stroke top clamp with the two holes would fit the 250x? Thanks for any help!

The recent 4-stroke triple clamps have a 22mm offset (verses the YZ's 25mm), so a simple upper clamp swap will not work...

UNLESS Yamaha changed the offset on the YZX to match the 4-strokes. :excuseme:

Some of the "earlier" 4-strokes (2009-11?) had 25mm offset triple clamps with two pairs of bar-mount holes, but I'm not sure what year they changed to 22mm.

So first we need to know if the YZX triples are 22mm offset, or just carryover 25mm.

If they are 25mm there are aftermarket top triple clamps with a greater fore/aft bar mount position, or you can research around to find which year 4-stroke clamps were 25mm with 2 bar-mount positions.

Your idea is a popular one, so please share any info you find. 👍

Another option is Windham-bend bars (AKA RM tall or KTM). They have less sweep and give a bit more room in the cockpit. They're a good match for the YZ.

I have found that the yzx has 25mm offset and the inside fork hole measurement is 55.96mm. The new 250f is 22mm and the inside fork hole is 53.xx.

From what I can tell a 10-11 250f top clamp may be the ticket but need to find a measurement on the fork hole. The entire triple won't swap since the stem lenght is different than the yzx.

This is what I know so far

And a BRP top clamp will move your position away from rider by 6mm which I was told is what you get by flipping your offset clamps. So with brp and mounts close to you is like stock clamp with mounts flipped away from you.

The entire triple won't swap since the stem lenght is different than the yzx.

Good research!

An entire triple clamp swap is a do-able (and popular) mod. Just have the stems pressed out and switched. It's a fairly common practice.

Good research!

An entire triple clamp swap is a do-able (and popular) mod. Just have the stems pressed out and switched. It's a fairly common practice.

This is the question With the new 15-16 YZ 250 and 250x what years will swap? I've checked 2- new 250f's and they will not swap as the top clamp is not the correct size for the yz250 fork.

I anyone has a 10-11 250f and can put a caliper on the top of the fork or better yet the inside of the top clamp hole this would be much appreciated!

Any clamp 2014 or older should work. And I have used the newer "F" stem on the 2 stroke frame, even though it is a bit longer.

You can use the newer clamps, but you have to bore the top clamp tube holes. I think it's 59mm, off the top of my head.

Any clamp 2014 or older should work. And I have used the newer "F" stem on the 2 stroke frame, even though it is a bit longer.

You can use the newer clamps, but you have to bore the top clamp tube holes. I think it's 59mm, off the top of my head.

The 250x top is 55.96mm straight from xtrig and I verified by measuring my own at 55.97mm.

I can't get anyone selling on eBay to get back to me on the measurement of the hole in the top clamp on these triple clamps, I literally just need someone to put a caliper in the hole and list the size lol

As 218 mentioned, it's only the newer (2015 - on) 4-storkes that went to the larger diameter upper fork tubes.

The fork leg holes in the upper triple clamp on the pre-2015 4-strokes are the same as the YZ 2-stroke.

With a stem swap, that triple clamp jamracing posted could be your answer.

Edited by CaptDan

The 250x top is 55.96mm straight from xtrig and I verified by measuring my own at 55.97mm.

OK, maybe it was the 9, 6 part that had me thinking 59.

I think CaptDan is on the right track here. I think if you were to get the clamps jamracing linked you should be able to use the top clamp with your lower. But, if the offset was different you'd have the lowers too and could do the whole swap.

They've been moving this "F" parts around so much the last few years I can't keep up with what's what.

I do know I just put a complete 2015 clamp set on a 125 after boring the uppers for the bigger 2 stroke tube size.  

• Like 1

OK update, the 06-07 yz450 top clamp fits right on with no mods. The newer WR top clamps should also work. The problem is that none of these top clamps have the two hole adjustment but I did find a fly top clamp (same as protaper) with the plastic cushion and multi position bar clamps for a reasonable price for the 07 YZ 450 and bolted it right on!

I've since ordered the Scott's stabilizer mount for this set up as my fastway mount bolts straight down into the bottom bar clamp and this new set up the bolts go in at an angle.

Did some additional research, and came up with this;

The top triple clamps listed below have a 25mm offset and 56mm upper fork tube clamp diameter. They will fit 2006 - 2016 YZ 2-strokes, and offer the added bonus of two bar mount positions.

2009 250F & 450 p/n 17D-23435-01-00

http://www.yamahapar...00/crown-handle

2010-11 250F p/n 17D-23435-10-00

http://www.yamahapar...00/crown-handle

From;

https://thumpertalk.com/topic/1190285-yz250250x-top-triple-clamp-dual-position-bar-mounts/

Edited by CaptDan
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what the 250f's have for offset but I know the 14 450's had 22mm, the 15 450's have 24 and the 16's have 25 which is the same as the yz 2 strokes. But the top clamp fork hole is smaller on the 4 strokes than the 2 strokes. I have a 16 450 that I put 14 clamps on so I could have cheap 22mm offset clamps. And I wanted to be able to move the bars forward on my yz250 and have rubber mounted bar clamps. So I took my stock 16 450 top clamp to work and circle milled it on the cnc machine. It went right on perfect.

s1200_IMG_20160608_110840.jpg

• Like 2