Sign in to follow this  

2000 ttr 125

I recently purchased the ttr for my gf. Got it home rode it around a bit and once it warmed up, the clutch would intermittently go out. So I figured new clutch plates, ordered those and installed them. When I removed the old they were completely shot, no pads left. I replaced them and everything, sealed the case and went to ride it and now the clutch is slipping. No longer is going out randomly but now the pads won't grab all the way. Did I miss something?

Iv searched and looked and everything is for 2001+, nothing in the 2000 year. They say adjust the little push rod, make sure you didn't loose the ball bearing on the end and so forth. When I had it all open and took out the push rod there wasn't a ball bearing. I adjusted the push rod.

When it's in neutral, it's neutral. Shift it into a gear and its solid, push the bike back and forth it slides the rear wheel,give it some weight and it'll turn over the motor like it's supposed to do. But when the bike is on and running shift it into gear and let out the lever it lags and slowly goes,then you can feel the clutch fully engage while riding it for a few seconds. Havnt ridden it much as I don't want to smoke the plates, does it just need to "break it"?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks, Robert

Did you torque the clutch spring bolts to proper spec? I'd first see if you have enough free play in the clutch cable it should need adjusted anyway since you put new plates in, if it's not releasing all the way it will slip like hell.

I did not torque them. I have never had a problem with not torquing them, iv got a '12 yz450 and a KTM 525 and have put clutches in both and never had a problem. It looks like I'll have to open the case back up anyways.. I just started the bike while adjusting the clutch cable on the lever perch and the more I brought it out the worst it slipped, the closer in I put it the better it grabbed but ran out of adjustment on the lever..

Thank you for the reply! I'm very stumped on this and really don't want to fork up the $$ for the mechanic :/

Edited by Rabs1755

I did not torque them. I have never had a problem with not torquing them, iv got a '12 yz450 and a KTM 525 and have put clutches in both and never had a problem. It looks like I'll have to open the case back up anyways.. I just started the bike while adjusting the clutch cable on the lever perch and the more I brought it out the worst it slipped, the closer in I put it the better it grabbed but ran out of adjustment on the lever..

Thank you for the reply! I'm very stumped on this and really don't want to fork up the $$ for the mechanic :/

No problem I'll be completely honest I bought and built a 2011 ttr125 up for my girlfriend it has quite a few bells and whistles, once she gets comfortable do the airbox mods,jet it for her and lighten the flywheel, if you find yourself riding it as a pit bike the 24mm carb off a crf150f is a great upgrade for some extra pep and throttle response and bar risers made my girlfriend more comfortable, I put in heavier springs in the clutch and even before doing that the bike still sometimes has a weird clutch feel thru out the "pull of the lever" some times it feels likes its there and other times it's not, it never slips and it's not a persistent thing but from time to time I feel it fades in and out.

I also have a yz450 of the era mines a 2011 picked it up one owner with low low hours early last year awesome bike, still kinda like my yz250 for certain types riding but my 250f just sits now since I bought it's big brother haha.

If you have anymore questions about waking the bike up some or want more input on mods let me know.

Edited by yzdude250f

Yea they are fun bikes! And yes got it for her but will also be my pit bike as I race sometimes.

Iv got another problem, broke one of the spring bolts in the hub. FML! Hoping to get that out today and have it reinstalled. It happened while torquing so I'm assuming either the wrench didn't work of the bolts just that bad and old.. It's really starting to piss me off. I bought it for the low maintained factor but obviously the person before me polished a turd and it ride and felt fine when testing it but now it's just one t hing after another!

Looks like I got it all figured out. I went back and tightened the springs tighter then they were and seems to be ok now. Still has a weird clutch feel but agora at its ridable! And it seems the clutch feeling is normal for the ttr from what iv been reading

Looks like I got it all figured out. I went back and tightened the springs tighter then they were and seems to be ok now. Still has a weird clutch feel but agora at its ridable! And it seems the clutch feeling is normal for the ttr from what iv been reading

yeah I can agree the clutch feels abnormal on them, do you also feel the same way that the clutch feel is never consistent? Edited by yzdude250f

It feels different every time it gets ridden by me honestly. It could be that I switch between 3-4 bikes all with different clutch and even one hydraulic on the KTM. But she complains every time about it, even with the brand new clutch!! Sometimes you can just let out the clutch lever with no gas and sometimes it'll take off, other times you let it out with no throttle and it'll die like a regular bike does. It's VERY weird and I do not like it! Almost acts like a centrifical clutch sometimes it feels! And