Sign in to follow this  

`07 top end parts fo longevity

So I picked up a 07 250r a little while ago. It's need a top end and valve adjustment. I know I need to change the valves to something non oem because of how fast they get out of spec. But what parts should I go with for it to last the longest, and how many hours will that be. I just ride it arund my house and weekends so I don't care too much about a drop in performance. But I can't be putting super expensive parts on it either

Oem valves arent really bad, most of the issues with them come from poor maintenance.

If you do decide to go with stainless valves it will be between 350 and 450 for the new valves, springs, and cutting the seats, plus a little for sgipping unless youre lucky enough to have somewhere close that does it. If you need guides that makes the price go up of course, when I had one of mine done that was all they said they would charge more to do. I didnt notice a performance difference afterwards.

Ya I put in oem valves back in 2010 and am still runnin em. And I live in the country so I ride a LOT.

I recommend sending to to someone who specializes in MX

So I picked up a 07 250r a little while ago. It's need a top end and valve adjustment. I know I need to change the valves to something non oem because of how fast they get out of spec. But what parts should I go with for it to last the longest, and how many hours will that be. I just ride it arund my house and weekends so I don't care too much about a drop in performance. But I can't be putting super expensive parts on it either

Your valves may still be okay even though you shimmed them. If the air filter and airbox have been kept clean. What size shims did you install? If they (specifically the intakes as the titanium coating can wear off) tighten back up quickly then you will need a valve job. When you do a top end you can also pour some gas in the intake and exhaust port. If the gas leaks out from the valves then you need valves. My valves still sealed perfectly though before I got them replaced, they tightened up very quickly though, therefore I got them replaced.

When you do a top end install a manual cam chain tensioner, the one that I got from the TT store looks really good. Much better than blue and red Chinese ones from EBay IMO. The automatic tensioners wear and they CAN fail, it isn't likely but it can happen, and if it does you will have quite a mess on your hands. IMO get all OEM parts for your top end rebuild, OEM cam chain, piston, rings, etc.

Kibblewhite valves all around run for 400$ from Fastheads.com (just using their pricing as an example, add 35$ for a valve adjustment and 70$ for valve guide replacement if necessary, like the above said. The upgraded intake valves (Del West) and Kibblewhite exhaust valves from Fastheads start at 500$.

Good luck, keep us updated.

Edited by EatMaRoost

Just curious, how many hours? What kind of riding? And how hard do you ride?

I'm not sure how many hours. I bought it used. I mostly just play around at my house. I ride Enduro style so I like to jump around over trees and technical stuff so the bike is usually at low rpm but I'll rip every once and a while

Just curious, how many hours? What kind of riding? And how hard do you ride?

I don't run a meter but I'd guess about 100 hrs.   mostly trails with some mx and flat track racing (expert)... I ride fast but I'm easy on the motor 🙂