Sign in to follow this  

Rm250 carb issues

I recently picked up a rm250 project. It ran fine but i pulled the carb to clean it and when i put it back on now with the gas on the overflow hoses all leak gas non stop? Anyone know whats wrong? i know its prolley been covered before but i couldnt find much about the issue.keep in mind it didnt do it until my dumbass tore the carb apart...even though ive done hundreds i seem to have messed this one up lol

Don't try to start the bike 

your floats are sticking probably cause you put the float tongue on the wrong way or bent the tongue so the float tongue doesn't hit the float valve to shut off the fuel flow to the carb the floats are set at a specific height so that when the float bowl fills up with gas when the floats rise up to that height the float tongue has to push the little needle down on float valve to stop the fuel from entering. So when it doesn't hit the valve it just keeps on flowing  down into the bowl and thats when it gets up to overflow valve and drains down from the bottom of the carb.

What you need to do is find the specific float height for your make year and model of your bikes carb then set it from the mating point on the bottom of the carb to the very top edge of the floats in mm's

FloatSetting.jpg

that's the point in which you want your tongue to barely make contact with the valve so that when the gas fills up beyond that point the floats rise hit the valve and shut off the fuel from the gas tank

Edited by 78SuzyQ
  • Like 1

What 78SuzyQ stated is correct. If you didn't touch the float during your procedure, then something got messed up when the float bowl was installed.

Take it apart & see what was messed up. While it's apart, make sure the float level is correct.

Ok ill check it maybe the bowl Bumped it and messed it up? Ive had it apart twice but i guess its something you dont see without taking a measurement

Spray something through the fuel passage. Maybe something got stuck in the needle.

I'm sure you'll figure it out.