Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha needs some bling--just an observation...

I think yamaha really needs to do something about the appearance of their dirtbikes.  I had a day off from work and I was really looking forward to seeing a yz250x "in the flesh".  What a letdown!  It was in a row of KTMs and it just looked pathetic. I know that the yamaha is the performance equal of the Huskys and KTMs on the showroom floor, but it sure doesn't look like it.  A more fickle consumer is just going to ignore it.

Depends what type of bling,

-re-styled plastics, bold new graphics, simple cosmetic stuff or

-mechanical bling: hydraulic clutch, e-start, oversized brakes, signature series bars, grips, levers, rims etc.

Without starting a second 'why KTM is ruining offroad motorcycle riding' thread,

adding bling also adds to the purchase price. KTM may attract the interest of many with their fancier looking 'Race Ready' bikes,

but how many are turned off when they see the price tag and revert to buying a YZ because of it's more attractive initial price.

Not all riders are into the newest bike looks as well, some of us still prefer the old-school look of the pre-restyled 2-stroke YZ's

New bikes are expensive enough as they are, if someone wants more bling let them add it to their own bike, not come as standard OEM for all to pay for.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 4

I agree. Want to see what a Japanese bike will look like in 3-4 years? Look at a current ktm.

And MSRP is over $1000 less on the YZ, that buys a lot of bling, gas, oil, etc. That being said, yes the bike looks dated as the YZ platform hasn't changed in over a decade, but it is still competitive and wins many shootouts. People buying an X or KTM for that matter are educated buyers, not someone looking for a $1000 craigslist bike. 

2016 KTM 250XC (Two-stroke): $8699

2016 YZ250X MSRP$7,390 - Team Yamaha Blue/White

• Like 1

Untitled-1.jpg

http://derestricted.com/motorcycles/2015-ktm-sx-factory-team-gfx-and-2014-450-sx-f-dungey-edition

Both kinds of Bling!

A YZ could easily be upgraded from the factory with colorful graphics and a few anodized parts. Just look at all the YZs that have been personalized and look sweet.

Yamaha needs to get some It Factor into the showrooms.

• Like 1

For people that choose a bike over another on looks only,

flashy bold new graphics and a plastic re-style every few years is the only thing they need to change.

Edited by mlatour

http://derestricted.com/motorcycles/2015-ktm-sx-factory-team-gfx-and-2014-450-sx-f-dungey-edition

Both kinds of Bling!

A YZ could easily be upgraded from the factory with colorful graphics and a few anodized parts. Just look at all the YZs that have been personalized and look sweet.

Yamaha needs to get some It Factor into the showrooms.

Should have used this "Factory Edition" Picture instead, from MXA's site:

IMG_0117.jpg

http://motocrossactionmag.com/more-stuff/mid-week-report/pro-taper-presents-mxas-mid-week-report-by-john-basher-24

• Like 2

Depends what type of bling,

-re-styled plastics, bold new graphics, simple cosmetic stuff or

-mechanical bling: hydraulic clutch, e-start, oversized brakes, signature series bars, grips, levers, rims etc.

Without starting a second 'why KTM is ruining offroad motorcycle riding' thread,

adding bling also adds to the purchase price. KTM may attract the interest of many with their fancier looking 'Race Ready' bikes,

but how many are turned off when they see the price tag and revert to buying a YZ because of it's more attractive initial price.

Not all riders are into the newest bike looks as well, some of us still prefer the old-school look of the pre-restyled 2-stroke YZ's

New bikes are expensive enough as they are, if someone wants more bling let them add it to their own bike, not come as standard OEM for all to pay for.

I agree with you, wait until they have to buy one of those special $60 dollar levers or a slave cylinder or clutch master cylinder.  Or add a fan to their 300.  Trust me their wear items.  Don't get me wrong I've owned over 20 of the bling things but IMHO it's all in the interest of sales.  I'd tell them F the bling, give me suspension that doesn't cost another grand to make work.  Here's one I didn't spare the bling on.

IMG_0522.JPG

Edited by motocrotts

Well it went there fast.

Value was not the point of the post.

I usually take awhile to warm up to new styling. I still like my 03 cr. I don't like the new camaro. Restyled yz doesn't do it for me either. The yz 4 strokes look good though.

My shop has KTM and Yammie side by side, I thought the yammie looked pretty darn good, not that I care that much.  Going to ride it not bone it.  lol

Nothing wrong with making your dirt bike look good, but I'd rather spend less on a bike up front and make whatever choices I want for it, rather than have it blinged out from the factory and be reluctant to spend even more money on the parts I want for it. Just because it has a shiny pipe doesn't mean it's the right shiny pipe. I see what the OP is saying though - KTM does put some fancy stuff on the showroom floor. But that costs money.

• Like 1

Thread lost its focus. I think the OP was complaining about the overall dated styling, not googaws and such.

Personally, I think the new restyled plastic looks like crap. And I also think rm250s and kx250s look better than the YZ.