Sign in to follow this  

Is my helmet too small?

This helmet fits like a dream when it comes to the cheeks and forehead, but when it comes to the chin, my chin sticks out a fair amount. So much so that if I open my mouth all the way, I can see my lips underneath the helmet. Would this be an issue, especially in the even of a crash? I'm wondering whether I should return this helmet or not. 
245fva8.jpg

Pull the chin bar down . And close your mouth .

Edited by JoeRC51

Well it would seem that simple but there is a breath guard installed and it can't be pulled down any lower without my nose being over there guard therefore directing my breath towards the lens and causing it to fog. This and it puts the forehead of the helmet at my eyebrows. And I believe I am correct in thinking this would be improper to the way of wearing a helmet. No?

Well it would seem that simple but there is a breath guard installed and it can't be pulled down any lower without my nose being over there guard therefore directing my breath towards the lens and causing it to fog. This and it puts the forehead of the helmet at my eyebrows. And I believe I am correct in thinking this would be improper to the way of wearing a helmet. No?

Every helmet I've bought in the last 20 years has come with fitment instructions for those not familiar. If it passes, good. If it's comfortable, you found your helmet. I suggest you may be over thinking this. Also, adjusting a helmet in a static situation doesn't work. The helmet will settle to where it wants to be.

• Like 1

I recently had the same problem with my helmet and I got a new one because it had too much of a gap between my helmet and neck brace.

Your helmet isn't too small, your head is just too large. 😉:D

• Like 2

Everybodies head is different shaped.... I feel my face is too far forward in my ls2 but at 5xl my options are few...

Damn. I don't think I've ever seen a 5xl, that's one hell of a melon. Congratulations sir!

Damn. I don't think I've ever seen a 5xl, that's one hell of a melon. Congratulations sir!

It's more of a curse... I'm only 16 so I'm still growing. Any bigger and I'll need custom fit

So, in conclusion, I should send this helmet back to rev and try again? Anybody got a suggestion on a good dual sport helmet? This one was the AFX FX-39, and I LOVE it, super comfy, quick release strap, and can use goggles under the lens. It's gonna be a bummer to see it go, but it's no good if it doesn't do its job. Has to be under 300 bucks, ideally under 200 because I'll probably have to spend another 40-60 bucks on a reflective lens, and the cooler looking the better assuming its a good helmet.

It's more of a curse... I'm only 16 so I'm still growing. Any bigger and I'll need custom fit

I grew pretty quick as a kid. By the time I was 12 i was about 5-9 and about 150lbs. This was great for meeting older girls, buying stuff like booze and just about any sport. I'm 55 now and 5-11 and my weight is undetermined 🙂

Anyway this had me interested in "at what point if any does your head stop growing"

Doing a quick search... https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=how+does+your+head+grow

And this a quote for one of the results either true or false..

"The head and brain keep growing until you're about 25 years old.  The size of your head means nothing, unless it is abnormally small, in which case you should visit a doc to make sure nothing is amiss.  And even the size of your brain doesn't really matter, rather it's the maturity and IQ of a person that makes a difference, just for examples.  Someone your age generally has a hard time making life plans, for instance, because they cannot see what's ahead very well on account of they don't have enough life experiences yet to know when to hold them and know when to fold them, unless they happen to be very determined and have lots of pushing by parents.  That is maturity level.  IQ is basically predetermined from when you're still a child.  "

Personally to the OP, there should be 2  pic's. 1 from the side and 1 from the front  with your head straight up/down

Personally to the OP, there should be 2  pic's. 1 from the side and 1 from the front  with your head straight up/down

And the shield up so we can see where the helmet sits. It may be your nose and/or the breath guard that's the problem.

• Like 1

I grew pretty quick as a kid. By the time I was 12 i was about 5-9 and about 150lbs. This was great for meeting older girls, buying stuff like booze and just about any sport. I'm 55 now and 5-11 and my weight is undetermined 🙂

Anyway this had me interested in "at what point if any does your head stop growing"

Doing a quick search... https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=how+does+your+head+grow

And this a quote for one of the results either true or false..

"The head and brain keep growing until you're about 25 years old. The size of your head means nothing, unless it is abnormally small, in which case you should visit a doc to make sure nothing is amiss. And even the size of your brain doesn't really matter, rather it's the maturity and IQ of a person that makes a difference, just for examples. Someone your age generally has a hard time making life plans, for instance, because they cannot see what's ahead very well on account of they don't have enough life experiences yet to know when to hold them and know when to fold them, unless they happen to be very determined and have lots of pushing by parents. That is maturity level. IQ is basically predetermined from when you're still a child. "

Personally to the OP, there should be 2 pic's. 1 from the side and 1 from the front with your head straight up/down

I'm 6'4" 270lbs (I'm not as fat as you're thinking, just pretty chubby)

I'm 6'4" 270lbs (I'm not as fat as you're thinking, just pretty chubby)

Do you play football?  Do you need an agent? :D

• Like 2

Returned the AFX-39 and picked up a Variant. Completely covers the chin nicely, and maybe looks a little nicer too. Cheeks are a bit tight but after wearing inside for about 30 mins it started to get better, and I'm sure it will be great once broken in. But of course all is not perfect, now my nose just BARELY rubs against the nosepiece. I'm curious if this should cause worry, or if it means i'm liable to break my nose if i went down hard face first. As for the fitment, it doesn't really bother me too much, and if it really starts to bother me the part that rubs is made of (a non-replaceable) foam that I could just cut a bit so that my nose doesn't ever make contact. Assuming that the consensus is that I shouldn't worry about it, I think I'll keep this one. 2v0nybq.jpg

• Like 1