Sign in to follow this  

Regret selling my KLX300

I had a 2000 KLX300 that I felt was generally a pretty good bike for the types of trails I ride.  I am 6'4" and around 220lbs and I did feel it was a bit on the small side for me.  It had the stock carb and exhaust and it was proving to be a PITA to start when it was hot (no hot start button and kick start only).  Nothing like keeping your buddies waiting with a bike that won't start.  The guy who bought it changed the carb and he says that problem is now solved.

It's age, physical size and starting issues were behind me "upgrading" to a 2008 KLX450r a few months ago.  The electric start is really nice, I must admit, and the bike loves the fast, open trails - it jumps better too.  It is proving to be a real handful in tighter, single-track trails, though.  It's only about 22lbs heavier but it feels like a tank in the woods and the last few rides have not been as enjoyable as they once were.

The throttle is very hard to regulate at low speeds and the clutch is very grabby, meaning there are plenty of stalls.  I also find the front-end washes out quite easily.  Maybe it's the wrong tool for the job or maybe I can tweak things a bit (carb, clutch and suspension) or maybe I just need to get used to it.

Not a particularly easy transition so far and leaves me kinda' regretting making the move.

If you were closer I'd trade you. I find most issues can be resolved through tuning. Suspension tuning and and carb tuning. I'll be moving to a klx450 eventually. Part of the key is I now have a dedicated woods bike. I want more of a dual-sport than the 300 is.

The good news is, you definitely made a change. The bad news is, you definitely made a change. My opinion is that as you get a few hours under your belt the transition will be more comfortable. You certainly could have put a big bore kit in the 300 but given your size and weight I doubt you would ever have gotten the performance that you were looking for. Your chore now is to set the 450 up so it matches you and your riding style.  Properly set up suspensions make significant improvements in handling tight trails. Learn to use the power in handling and control. Proper carb tuning should help with your low speed issues. They make throttle assemblies with longer throws if you cannot get used to what you have. You may have to change your clutch pack if you cannot fix what you have. Make sure your engine oil is to spec and change it regularly. When you change out parts, make weight a factor in the decision. You can save up to 4 lbs. of high end weight just in a battery switch.

You will adjust, it just takes a little time.