Sign in to follow this  

2005 crf450r with cracked cases should I buy it

So I am really really considering this 05 450 with cases wrecked but the Trans is good looked at by two dealerships and the head and jug is good supposedly but the crank went and the cases did too but I'd have a full rebuild to do plus cases whay do you guys think I should do I can only afford the bike for now but will be saving to have motor done. The thing is k will have a fresh engine and I know what is between my legs. What do yoi guys think?

the price matters....I would not pay much more than $500-700 in that condition, depending on the upgrades (like pipe, suspension, etc).

Do the work yourself, a shop will rape you.  buy a service manual, its not that hard if you take your time and follow step by step.

If you really don't feel comfortable with it, then have the shop just put the bottom end/tranny/cases together and you take it from there.

if the top end is good you will be ok, but if not then you will rack up 2k in parts pretty easy.

In getting it for 900 bucks the bikes in pretty decent shape couple small things like a slip on j think and some wheels but how much would the bottom end run me I know my local shop pretty well as in I ride with the guys that will do my bottom end they are really good but say 70 bucks an hour roughly maybe less but how long and how much would it all be this is excluding cases price

are you going to have them do it all?  like taking it all apart (in frame) and putting it all back together?

I'm sorry but $900 for a 2005 4 stroke is way too much.  You have no ideal of what exactly is wrong.  You will have a fresh crank and bearing....If the head is shot right there is $600 more right there.  Cylinder could be scored.

I don't know bud, seems like too much to me

I might just wait and find another bike cases could just screw me over I think I'll just save up and buy a running bike and inspect that bike and go over everything

well in that case, the bottom end should not take more than 2-3 hours tops 

Yah I can do a top end just don't have case splitters or anything I have plenty of tools but nothing to do a crank of split cases and stuff but I think I might get raped on cases tho

Yah I can do a top end just don't have case splitters or anything I have plenty of tools but nothing to do a crank of split cases and stuff but I think I might get raped on cases tho

Look them up on partzilla or servicehonda.com . Probably in the $250-$300 range each.

Edited by HRC27

Cases, crank, bearings, gaskets, can easily run $1000.00 just for the parts.

The only way it makes sense to buy a blown up bike is if you can do the work yourself.

• Like 1

New cases I've bought have come with all the bearings but, yeah, it'll be that or more. Especially, if you rebuild the waterpump, go through the clutch, etc.

I'd walk away from this one and buy a clean low hour bike.

Edited by HRC27

Yah I actually found a badass 07 crf450r talked him down to 14 and it's got a Boyesen water pump and a bunch of other stuff done to it I'm gonna check valves chang all fluids and go through the while bike and replace as necessary guy is hurting for the money I think I found a gem

You don't need case splitters on a 4t.....just fyi

but yes the 07 sounds like a better deal, only problem is you have no way of knowing how many hours are truly on the crank/head.  Always a crap shoot with used bikes.

• Like 2

Yah I actually found a badass 07 crf450r talked him down to 14 and it's got a Boyesen water pump and a bunch of other stuff done to it I'm gonna check valves chang all fluids and go through the while bike and replace as necessary guy is hurting for the money I think I found a gem

Post up a pic man.

You don't need case splitters on a 4t.....just fyi

but yes the 07 sounds like a better deal, only problem is you have no way of knowing how many hours are truly on the crank/head. Always a crap shoot with used bikes.

Yah you are right you never know when it's gonna go that's why when I buy a two stroke you can rebuild it and have less overall than even buying a used 4 stroke

And I will post a pic if I end up buying the bike