Sign in to follow this  

1990 DR250s carb questions

I have acquired a 1990 DR 250s. It was given to me by a guy who lived in the mountains and let it sit outside for many YEARS. I have since gone through it and have had it running under its own power. However it does die with out choke and as soon as you give it throttle. I opened the carb and the fuel/air mixture screw had been drilled and the bit is broken inside the brass screw. I have taken it to numerous shops and even machine shops and no one seems to be able to get it unstuck. I believe this is the issue to the bike not running right. Is there a acid i can put in the hole? Or do i need to buy an aftermarket carb because the stock carb is not longer available anywhere, even ebay? 

Thanks to all who reply and help me with this! 

Talking to the local Suz dealer recently, he mentioned that ideally you use a left-hand drill bit to drill that plug because if the bit goes in too far it will catch the pilot screw and screw it into the carb body to the extent of damaging the body. If some ham fisted DIY'r did this to your carb then broke the bit off...you may have a damaged carb body that will no longer be servicable.

BTW: There has to be a way to get that bit out...you need to find some old timer that is a little brighter than the people you've talked to so far.

Best of luck.

Talking to the local Suz dealer recently, he mentioned that ideally you use a left-hand drill bit to drill that plug because if the bit goes in too far it will catch the pilot screw and screw it into the carb body to the extent of damaging the body. If some ham fisted DIY'r did this to your carb then broke the bit off...you may have a damaged carb body that will no longer be servicable.

BTW: There has to be a way to get that bit out...you need to find some old timer that is a little brighter than the people you've talked to so far.

Best of luck.

Thank you. It looks to be a right handed bit. :banghead:  Ive seen forums where if you can find a shop with a EDM Machine that is your best bet however it can be expensive... Time to research aftermarket carbs!

****Update******

I talked to a reliable Suzuki Mechanic and he told me a dr350 bst33 Carb (Which are a lot easier to find) WILL work. However it needs to je jetted down to a 250- 132 main, 40 pilot, and needle is different as well as the needle jet.