Sign in to follow this  

Should I buy a new DRZ400s?

So this summer I am taking 4+ weeks off work and riding the TAT east to west. I am new to adventure riding, but I have owned a Drz before (KLX 400 really) and I am an experienced harescramble racer.

Anyways..
I have a budget of about $5000 to buy a bike.
Im keeping a good job in the city to save up for my adventure.

Because I live in the city I dont have a garage to wrench on a motorcycle.

I know the ideal situation would be to buy a used Drz that is in decent shape and not high miles, but I wouldnt have the resources to restore it to a condition where I feel comfortable riding across the country.
A local dealer is asking about $5.5k for a 2013 DRZ with 0 miles on it.
I was planning on aggresively haggling and buying the thing for 5k..
I feel that this would help me avoid any worries about buying a used bike, and not having to spend any money or time fixing it up.

ANYWAYS thats my situation. Ive gone over this 1,000,000 times in my head and talked with freinds and family. Ultimately, I realized that I needed to consult a motorcycle community, so help me out. Thx!

• Like 1

With your budget in mind, go used. Nothing major has changed since it was introduced. I don't see how paying five grand for a new bike (which is a good buy) is going to be "set up better" than a low mile used bike? If you can't wrench on the used bike how are you going to wrench on the new? Buy a used bike that someone commuted with or took offroad for the first time and dropped because it's so top heavy and it scared them.

Before I would take either on TAT, there are things I would want to do to both. For your reading pleasure: https://thumpertalk.com/forum/215-drz400-faq/

• Like 1