Sign in to follow this  

CRF450R Oil leak on new bike :o(

Hey Guys, Hows things ?

Just bought a CR450R from ebay with the intention of getting it on the road.

Picked it up last night, is morning when having a proper look, draining the carbs and putting fresh fuel in, I notice it starts pissing out oil.

It seems to be coming from the left hand side of the bike, after taking the sprocket cover off, and moving the front sprocket a little, I discover quite a lot of cold wield that's been smeared around the engine casing (where the clutch is) where the oil seems to be coming from.

So I'm fully aware that I may have bought a lemon, So am left with options.

I understand that replacing a part, would involve replacing the engine, which I'm not really prepared to do.

How fixable / repairable is this ?

how much oil pressure is there on the left side of the engine ? 

IMG_5224.jpg

IMG_5225.jpg

IMG_5226.jpg

IMG_5227.jpg

IMG_5228.jpg

IMG_5230.jpg

Got a link to the e-bay listing? I wouldn't even touch the bike. If the seller didn't disclose the damage, I'd demand your money back. If he doesn't oblige, go through e-bay. They almost always side with the buyer.

That area is not easily repairable, that's where the transmission main shaft bearings are, the counter-shaft and the clutch actuator rod. There's a lot of stresses there, and any real damage will probably only be repairable by replacing that case half.

Edited by Lead Head

That's not a lemon. It's grenaded.

Get your money back. Unless it was free

it was sold as seen im afraid, I saw the bike running, and started up ok, runs just fine, and transmission / clutch are working as they should.

​the cold wield was behind a sprocket cover, you could just about see it when looking on the outside, so I can blame myself for not checking over the bike thoroughly.  

​The oil wasnt evident, as only starts dripping out once the bike is on the hot side. (only noticed as there was a small pool in my garage this morning).

Guess I'm going to be best stripping away the cold wield to find out exactly where the oil is coming from / damage is, and try and get it wielded, if not further assess damage.

​You mention there are quite a few important internal components around that area; what are the chances that the weakened case will affect operation of any of the internal parts, I guess what I'm asking is, how much to those parts (gearbox, clutch) relate to that part of the engine casing , assuming that it is just the engine casing that is damaged.

I would imaging you just need a new or good used case.  probably about $200 for the case and all the other surprises you find.

I still would go thru ebay because something like that SHOULD be disclosed regardless.  It is a given that bikes are sold "as is".  In this case, they knew the problem was there because they tried to fix it and they did not disclose it.  Unless you got an extremely good deal, I would make as much of a stink as I could including giving them a negative rating!!

You should've bought my bike!  I'm offering a 30 day warranty with mine because I know it is on POINT!!!! 

Don't blame yourself for anything. Go to e-bay, give him negative feedback and file a complaint against the seller and get your money back. "As seen" means very little when a damaged component has been purposely hidden behind something else.

What's the worst thing that could happen? E-bay says no, and you're no worse off than you were before?

I would imaging you just need a new or good used case.  probably about $200 for the case and all the other surprises you find.

I still would go thru ebay because something like that SHOULD be disclosed regardless.  It is a given that bikes are sold "as is".  In this case, they knew the problem was there because they tried to fix it and they did not disclose it.  Unless you got an extremely good deal, I would make as much of a stink as I could including giving them a negative rating!!

You should've bought my bike!  I'm offering a 30 day warranty with mine because I know it is on POINT!!!! 

Thats a full teardown to replace that cover.

I would say that the chain has came off ,broke, and taken the cover out because the bike still runs ok.

you could put a new seal in and see if that fixes the leak and always be wondering not if but when is my bike going to blow up because the cover fails. You might be lucky and get years out of it or it could fail next time the bike starts depending on the damage that is behind the weld. I have a mate that has a KX450 with the same damage that has been repaired the same way and his bike is still going 3 years after repair.

If that cover gives out that is a very expensive fix.

How much did you pay and what year modal?

If it was me I would try and get my money back and keep looking for different bike.

I hope that it works out for you.

Untitled.jpg

If that cover gives out that is a very expensive fix.

Yes!  I had a RM125 a long time ago....blew the tranny right out of the case!!  I threw the whole thing in the garbage (I only paid $100 for it lol).

Take it to a high end welding shop and get their opinion on welding it. If they say it can't be done then get back on flea bay and buy a used left side case.

I can tell you from looking at the pictures that welding it is going to be near impossible. There is going to be contamination (oil, dirt) in the crack that will make it hard to weld. Plus the location of the crack makes it tough. When you get everything back in order throw that 15t counter shaft sprocket in the garbage or it will happen again.

Well spotted

Why would you have a 15 tooth on the front, thats for highway running or blowing cases out, 13 or 14 tooth only

Well spotted

Why would you have a 15 tooth on the front, thats for highway running or blowing cases out, 13 or 14 tooth only

well they succeeded at blowing the cases out 

Thanks for the advice so far guys, its appreciated.

​i paid £1300 pounds for it, I guess thats around 1800 US dollars, but I guess that's all relative to prices in the UK.

​these bikes are in excess of £7000 brand new.

​I still haven't stripped it back yet to check the actual damage.

​excuse my ignorance, but why would a 15 tooth front sprocket increase chain wear ? (I'm quite new to MX bikes).

Thanks for the advice so far guys, its appreciated.

​i paid £1300 pounds for it, I guess thats around 1800 US dollars, but I guess that's all relative to prices in the UK.

​these bikes are in excess of £7000 brand new.

​I still haven't stripped it back yet to check the actual damage.

​excuse my ignorance, but why would a 15 tooth front sprocket increase chain wear ? (I'm quite new to MX bikes).

Doesn't necessarily increase chain wear but it puts the chain dangerously close to the cases. If a stick or a chain happens to run through the sprocket you can consider your case busted. If you could see the chain in slow-mo you would see that it jumps around quite a bit under normal use. All this aside from the fact that the 15 tooth sprocket probably gives you a top speed well over 110mph and it completely robs you of the ability to ride off-road successfully. I'm curious, what size is the back sprocket?