Sign in to follow this  

Fisher seat coming soon

I'm pretty psyched.  Planning a long (approximately 2,000 miles) trip this Spring from Chicago to North Carolina and back.  All road, as I'm going with a friend who rides a Harley.  So the first order was to do something about the stock seat.  After careful consideration, the choice really came down to either the Seat Concepts seat, or the Fisher seat.  I chose the Fisher seat based on some reviews from guys who have had both and said the Fisher was more comfortable for long road miles.  Anyway, after a 10 day shipping time, Nate Fisher from Fisher Upholstery called me to let me know he got the seat and wanted to confirm my choices.   

Apparently Nate is about the same height and weight as me (5'10" 170ish pounds) so his opinion on choices meant a lot to me.  The biggest choice was between the soft and medium foam.  He said either would be great, but he personally prefers the soft foam.  So that's what I went with.  I was thinking to go with the "big fish" option, which is an additional cost and widens the seat to 12" wide.  Nate really felt that while that seat would be marginally more comfortable than the 11" option, for someone my weight it wouldn't really matter much and he didn't think it would really be worth the additional cost.  Great...give me the 11" option.   He asked about carrying a passenger.  My wife, who only weighs 120 will seldomly go for rides with me, but it does happen once in a while so we took that into consideration and didn't make the foam thinner at the back of the seat.  One other option that he says is a common one is to thin out and recontour the front of the seat where it meets the tank.  He said it allows you to move further forward and give a slightly lower seat height when stopped at a light for example.  It would not have any effect on seat comfort doing road miles, as you are further back on the seat.  So I opted to do that too.   For the widening of the seat, if your stock seat cover is in good shape (which he said mine was), he re-uses that and then adds some vinyl where needed to accommodate the increased width.  He sent me color samples of different blue colors for the added vinyl, and I picked the darker color (he said most guys with blue DRZ's pick that color).  So in a few weeks, I should have my new, comfy Fisher seat.  I'm psyched!

Warner

• Like 4

Awesome news Killswitch. I've been wondering if you had any updates for us. I can't wait to see it and your feedback on it.👍

• Like 1

Awesome news Killswitch. I've been wondering if you had any updates for us. I can't wait to see it and your feedback on it. 👍

I've been busy with my PayPal card....don't worry!  Hahaha......got a Sena headset, Wolfman dry duffel, wolfman tank bag, and bought a rain jacket yesterday....from Revzilla.  I have a goretex rain jacket that I use for soccer games, etc, but I just felt like it's not long enough at the waist or tall enough at the neck to really keep me dry.  I don't know how much water my Gaerne GX-1 boots would let in during a rain fall (with rain pants on, so just the actual feet of the boot would be exposed), but I'm bouncing around the idea of Seal Skinz (or similar) waterproof socks as well.  Riding wet SUCKS, especially when you're putting some real miles on.   

Warner (aka Killswitch)

• Like 1

I'm on my 2nd seat concepts seat. The first I got a low, normal foam. It produces fatigue because it angles towards the tank. It's now my wife's seat. I got a normal height, 0.5 step softer version for myself. While its amazing, its not an all day multiday seat. I did one ride in the spring for two+ days of straight riding and was fine because we had lots of breaks, but riding for a couple hours straight I get sore and then there's no position that's comfortable.

A Fisher seat was next on my list to try. I'm curious to see how this works out!

• Like 2

I had Fisher rebuild a XR650L seat and it was simply wonderful. All day comfortable.  I got the medium width as I rode some offroad with it, but it was supremely comfortable.  And way cheaper than a Corbin or Sargeant. 

• Like 1

I had Fisher rebuild a XR650L seat and it was simply wonderful. All day comfortable.  I got the medium width as I rode some offroad with it, but it was supremely comfortable.  And way cheaper than a Corbin or Sargeant. 

Yeah, I did quite a bit of research on the options before I made a decision.  And I'll tell you this, Nate has said some nice things to me about Seat Concepts...he doesn't bash them at all.  He just thinks (as any good business person should) that his seats are superior.  But he said the Seat Concepts seats are good quality seats, too.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what he sends to me.  He was very knowledgeable, helpful, and accommodating.    

Warner

• Like 2

Yeah, I did quite a bit of research on the options before I made a decision. And I'll tell you this, Nate has said some nice things to me about Seat Concepts...he doesn't bash them at all. He just thinks (as any good business person should) that his seats are superior. But he said the Seat Concepts seats are good quality seats, too. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he sends to me. He was very knowledgeable, helpful, and accommodating.

Warner

Let's see a pic of your fancy seat.

Let's see a pic of your fancy seat.

Oh,  you can count on it, once I get it in a few weeks.  In the mean time, here's basically what it will look like, with the exception of blue vinyl wherever additional material needs to be added.  Stock vs the Fisher seat.

Warner

Fisher%20seat%20stock%20vs.jpg

Edited by webbie1
  • Like 1

The great guys at Fisher called me Friday and gave me the option to use this seat cover instead of my stock black one with blue trim.  They had this one that they made up for another customer and the guy changed his mind, so they are giving me this blue one with black "carbon fiber" sides at no additional cost.  The seat shipped so I should have it sometime this week.  Looking forward to getting it!

Fisher%20DRZ%20Seat%20Cover.jpg

• Like 1

The great guys at Fisher called me Friday and gave me the option to use this seat cover instead of my stock black one with blue trim.  They had this one that they made up for another customer and the guy changed his mind, so they are giving me this blue one with black "carbon fiber" sides at no additional cost.  The seat shipped so I should have it sometime this week.  Looking forward to getting it!

Fisher%20DRZ%20Seat%20Cover.jpg

Sweet, ,mine was black with the carbon fiber look sides. Looked bitchin!

I'm getting ready to put a Fisher on mine. Have you done an extended ride on yours yet? How was it?

What a coincidence...I JUST posted my ride report from today.  I did a 220 mile trip today.  The seat was AWESOME.  You'll be happy with yours.  I went with what Fisher calls their "soft" foam, normal thickness, and 11" wide.  These were all based on Nate Fisher's preference (he personally likes the soft foam, but said most of their orders are for the medium foam).  Since Nate and I are the exact same height and weight (5'10", 175 pounds), I went with his preference.  He also said the difference between soft and medium were really not that much....you just sink into the soft a little bit and feel more planted.  I concur with him on that....I DO feel planted in the seat.  Not like you can't move, just that you're very secure in the seat.  Hard to explain but I like it.   

Warner

Nice! I just pulled my seat off today and will get it to them next week. I hope

Good deal.  I'm VERY pleased with mine.  I hope and expect  you'll have a similar experience.  Post back up here after you get it, ok?

Good luck!

Warner