Sign in to follow this  

broken push rod yz 125

I was taking the engine apart to replace the shift stopper and found the power valve push rod broke in half, Is this a common issue?? Or do I have something else going on.

Edited by tater86

I've snapped about 3 push rods and I believe it's because the shift stopper bearings getting into the transmission bearing and making them vibrate and snap the rods this is why mine where snapping still not quite sure if it's the only problem haven't put it back together yet...📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1452790396.063288.jpg Would also check the actuator arm the bottom part on mine was also kinda bent for some reason mine is a 2005 yz125 btw and my shift stopper was also broke

Mine is the power valve push rod that broke>

But I would guess if your shift stopper broke? It could have been a factor in how it broke but don't know

But I would guess if your shift stopper broke? It could have been a factor in how it broke but don't know

Shift stopper was not broke, I was just updating to the new style before it broke.

Ive seen a few out there. Id give your powervalve some love and make sure its 100%.

An idea might be to slip some tubing over it to dampen the vibration...if thats possible.

I just picked up an '05 125 that looked fairly low hour.  When taking it apart to replace the stopper and top end found the power valve actuator rod broken on mine also.  Sounds like a common issue

• Like 1

I just picked up an '05 125 that looked fairly low hour.  When taking it apart to replace the stopper and top end found the power valve actuator rod broken on mine also.  Sounds like a common issue

Mine is a 2006 YZ 125. Maybe Yamaha should make a stronger part especially since I had to pay $97 for it. Edited by tater86

Mine is a 2006 YZ 125. Maybe Yamaha should make a stronger part especially since I had to pay $97 for it.

I found OEM parts at Honda of East Toledo lower than most.  The only bad part is they are slow on shipping, so if you need it right away go somewhere else.  I'm in WI so rebuilding a winter project so the wait doesn't bother me.  I think mine was more around $70, but can't remember for sure.  I know that I checked ebay after I bought mine and there was one on there (used) for around $30!

I already bought it on Rocky Mountain. I needed it yesterday so we can go ride!!!

It happened on my 06 125 too. Cheap cheap metal. I fixed it by brazing it and it has held for over 100 hrs since.

• Like 1

I think the common cause for this would be dirty stuck power valves.

Pressure from powervalve timer has to go some where.