Sign in to follow this  

250FX or 250X

Im seeing alot of great things on here from current FX owners so im looking for thier input if they were in a similar boat as me.

I am torn over the 250fx or the 250x.  I grew up on 2t but ive only ridden 4t lately and gotten very comfortable on them.  My WR450 is just too heavy for tight woods hare scrambles.  250fx has the power, estart and gearing, but the 250x is very light, versatile and some of the best reviews around for a great all purpose bike.   

I know im going to get everyone saying the 250fx is better or the best way to go, but kinda curious if others were also debating back and forth and why you went fx

I came from a 2005 YZ250 setup for trail. I picked the FX for my new bike last spring simply because I think 4T suits my riding style better. So the FX is a better bike for me, but I sure miss the 2T sometimes.

• Like 1

I came from a 2005 YZ250 setup for trail. I picked the FX for my new bike last spring simply because I think 4T suits my riding style better. So the FX is a better bike for me, but I sure miss the 2T sometimes.

Thank you for your input.  I feel the same way about a 4t, as im just used to it and comfortable, but a light 2 stroke with the power does sound so appealing.  Could you answer a few of my questions since you are experienced with both bikes (to me a 250 set up for trail is very similar to a 250x)

How is the weight, power, and handling in comparison?   Had the 250x been available would you have done it then?

I also came from a YZ250 set up for off road. Mine also had the EG295 kit done. Really liked that bike and do miss it sometimes. However, the FX is really nice. My reasons for switching was I was just kind of bored and wanted to try something else, really liked the idea of fuel injection and not messing around with carbs, and electric start because I do a lot of course marking and am lazy. Had the 250X been available I think I would have still chose the FX for the above mentioned reasons. They are both great bikes, I don't think you can go wrong either way. Just depends on what is important to you.

• Like 2

I also came from a YZ250 set up for off road. Mine also had the EG295 kit done. Really liked that bike and do miss it sometimes. However, the FX is really nice. My reasons for switching was I was just kind of bored and wanted to try something else, really liked the idea of fuel injection and not messing around with carbs, and electric start because I do a lot of course marking and am lazy. Had the 250X been available I think I would have still chose the FX for the above mentioned reasons. They are both great bikes, I don't think you can go wrong either way. Just depends on what is important to you.

thanks for the input, ive heard a yz with the EG kit is amazing!  Im starting to do more GNCC / hare scramble type racing and the WR450 is just a bit heavy for it.  Suspension isnt the best on an older one and it seems to fatigue me more than it should.  I got a CRF250R to race with this year with the intent to purchase a new 250x or 250fx around summer time.  Already I miss the e-start as im having some issues with it starting again after going down.  Power wise its almost what I want, but i did want just a touch more.  I think the 250fx will be good in power as ive heard they are a beast of a bike, and i doubt i could ever want more power from a 250x so that issue is a wash.  

Guess what I really need to do is wait for a demo day in my area.

How is the weight, power, and handling in comparison?   Had the 250x been available would you have done it then?

I don't notice the weight while riding except on long technical downhills. Probably because downhills are a major weak point of mine. Also, lifting it onto a stand it feels like it weighs 500 lb. Something about the grab points seem to make it awkward. The bike feels very similar to my YZ250, but I think it handles a touch better. The shrouds feel a little wide when sitting because of the air intake.

I was nervous about the power being a 250F, but I'm glad I went that way. I had an 08 450 before switching to 2T and I'm pretty sure the new ones would be too much. The only time I've felt it lacking a bit was in a sand dune section someone decided to throw into a course. It was about a week after I sold the YZ, and I was like, "well shit." But what are you gonna do? I don't see dunes that often anyway.

Had the 250X been available, I would still have gotten the FX for the reasons racer651 mentioned. Fuel injection, electric start, etc. But the basis for getting a new bike in the first place was the realization that a 4T just suited me better.

• Like 1

Thanks UBU, great points and things to consider. I appreciate all the input

Thanks UBU, great points and things to consider. I appreciate all the input

One more item I forgot to mention...

The turning point on deciding to buy the FX came the morning of my last race of 2014. The temp dropped between Friday when I setup the bikes and my race on Sunday. I was stuck changing jets in 20 degree weather Saturday night and could only manage to get the main in the hotel parkin lot. Tried to get at the pilot again Sunday morning, but I'd packed insufficient screwdrivers.

I wanted fuel injection.

Now turn to this year. Same race with the FX...Fired it up Saturday night in the garage and everything was fine. Started a little slow in the pits, but fine after riders meeting. Battery completely dead at the banner drop. I forgot how to kickstart a bike! I race Amatuer and left 5 minutes behind the Novices.

To be fair to Yamaha, it was an aftermarket lightweight battery and the stocker was re-installed and works fine.

A reminder just how easy 2Ts are to simply kick over.

• Like 1

I just recently purchased and FX[emoji3]now I have only done a decent break in on the road and a little bit in the pasture. Now I am getting ready to do oil and filter,air filter,check bolts,chain tension and also check the valves.

I am sort of in the position you are. My last dirt bike was in about 1991 and was an 88 CR250 so I am freshly back after a long time away. I grew up on a XR80,TT225,CR125,CR250 and some late 80s Crotch Rockets.

Ok I liked the 2 strokes on the track but never liked them on the trail. I always liked the feel of 4 strokes but back then the 4s were heavy and not super fast and the suspension was eh not so good.

I thought about the 250X pretty hard but even with them being more setup for woods style it would have the 2 stroke feel.

I thought about the maintenance and I think it takes a bit more effort to keep a new 4 stroke in proper form but at the same time for me the type of power is what I think will be worth it.

I haven't ridden enough to tell you the FX is great but I can tell you the seat is pretty high. Haven't kicked the bike once in the times I have ridden it so I can see the benefit[emoji3]

For me this was the kind of bike I dreamed of when I was racing my TT225 with terrible suspension back in 87[emoji12] Any bike you buy will be a good choice I am sure!!!

• Like 1

I have both bikes, a '15 FX and a '16 X. I plan on comparing lap times to see which bike I'm faster on. I suspect the FX will be slightly faster (for me) since 4 stroke power is so easy. However, the X will be more fun. 2 stroke power feels faster.

My FX has a secure planted feel on the track and trail. Lightweight 2st tend to feel a tad skittish.

Mark

• Like 2

I have both bikes, a '15 FX and a '16 X. I plan on comparing lap times to see which bike I'm faster on. I suspect the FX will be slightly faster (for me) since 4 stroke power is so easy. However, the X will be more fun. 2 stroke power feels faster.

My FX has a secure planted feel on the track and trail. Lightweight 2st tend to feel a tad skittish.

Mark

You da man!!! One of each. 

• Like 1

This is a great country. Ooh Rah!

Looking forward to a more in depth review between the two 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for all the great responses, its greatly appreciated

ill try to address them all below

UBU - Thats a great point, one thing I love about my WR450 is I never have to mess with jetting now that I have it dialed in.  Weather and elevation really dont mess with a 4 stroke.  2 strokes can be very finiky with temp.  Weather where I live adjusts so much throughout the year that I could see that being an issue, great point.  I have had starting issues with my WR also right on the line when it was charged overnight, but I have that damn thing dialed in I can kick it over pretty well.  One benefit of 2T is kicking them over, its just alot easier, but a button always wins.   Question on the FI, how well does the bike start if its laid over?  Thats an issue in chasing with my CRF250R right now is it fires up easily cold or hot, easy to kick over.  If i go down though, it takes alot of kicks to get it back to life, and wears me out.  Wonder if fuel injection will not allow the bike to flood out?  Button start makes it really easy also.

MotoManPat - Thats kinda exactly how I feel.  I mean my KDX220 is built up, full R&B Designs motor and carb work, and the thing rips but the suspension sucks so it usually kills me.  FX and X both have the same KYB SSS Suspension so i know the bike will be able to be set up perfectly in the suspension dept, if it isnt perfect out of the box

Trashrider - Man, im jealous, LOL. You are set up for the best side by side comparison.     How does the power feel?  I would assume the x feels faster and is faster / stronger, but is the FX very close?  I love my WR450 and I planned on keeping it for desert racing / trail riding and this next bike is mostly for hare scramble, GP kinda racing.  So to me its a hard call, the bike will become my main bike so I want all the power I can get but I want the most usable power

To me it comes down to what you like, 4 stroke or 2. I bought the yz250x but rode the fx before I went that route. Both are great bikes but I have been riding 2 strokes the last 8 years and to me the 2 strokes are much funner. The new yz250x feels very planted especially compared to the ktm 300 I came off of. The power on the x is definitely stronger than the fx which is another plus for me. The midrange which is where I ride most of the time is awesome on the x and the engine is very smooth. Also if you enjoy some big hillclimbs the x is great. The 250 4 strokes just dont have enough power for me. I don't care much for electric start since 2 strokes are so easy to start. Really you can't go wrong either way but for me and riding single track in the rockies i absolutely love the new x.

Edited by Iluv2fly
  • Like 1

Dammit lluv2fly, had to throw a wrench in there didn't ya!?!? Lol, good stuff you said and that's kinda what I've been thinking.

Man I think I just gotta wait for a demo day and ride the crap outta both. Seat time is the only way to know for sure

Dammit lluv2fly, had to throw a wrench in there didn't ya!?!? Lol, good stuff you said and that's kinda what I've been thinking.

Man I think I just gotta wait for a demo day and ride the crap outta both. Seat time is the only way to know for sure

You know I weigh 220 and after riding both it was not a hard decision for me at all. The x does everything I need. Awesome single track, and fun when I want to climb some big hills in loose soil. What blew me away was how smooth it was and the suspension is great. I will admit I am not much of a 4 stroke guy. The fx is heavier, about 8 less hp, and less torque. Two strokes are so easy to maintain as well. Edited by Iluv2fly
  • Like 1

Ya a 2t is easier maintenance and cheaper parts, just needs checked more often. I'm 180# geared up so either bike will probably be ok for me, I want just a little more in the top end of my 04 250f so I know the newer ones will have more power. 2 strokes are a blast though. If it's like last year at the Odessa 100 Yamaha did a demo day there and I think I'll just have to spend a day over there testing each bike back and forth