Sign in to follow this  

no title on KDX, what to do..

afternoon, if this isnt in the right place let me know..here it goes..this may be a question to ask outside this forum..

i am looking to buy a Kawasaki KDX 200 like a 2000-2006 model..I want to plate it here in Virginia..but 99% of the bikes  look at owners dont have titles, but they will give me a bill of sale

I also read that  you would need the MCO man cert of origin, and/or MSO can someone tell me what this is? the MSO

so how do i get a title to register this bike?

thanks, and learned a lot from this site..didnt have when i was riding back when my trusty deed TS125, MR175 and PE250

thanks

ron

Do not buy the bike.

A MCO aka MSO is the Manufacturers Certificate (Statement) of Origin. It is supplied by the manufacturere and give to the dealer. The dealer or the purchaser convert that in to a title or in states that do not title dirbikes, the dealer simply signs it over to the purchaser. If lost, they cannot be replaced.

You must have the MCO/MSO or a title to get a plate in VA.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/vehicles/#titling.html

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/vehicles/#atv_offroad.html

thanks for the quick response..seems like all the ones i look at they have no title..

have a 2003 KDX200 asking 1600. and a 2006 asking 2200.

they are clean great running bike but no titles

what to do..i dont know..

can you get a title for it?

Ride it like you stole it?

• Like 3

thanks for the quick response..seems like all the ones i look at they have no title..

have a 2003 KDX200 asking 1600. and a 2006 asking 2200.

can you get a title for it?

Did you take the time to read the links I gave you?

I'd be very suspect of any bike that the 'owner' does not have paperwork for. How about the original invoice from the dealer?

william1  i read over and over, taking it i also need MSO/MCO  also

is thhis correct?

william1  i read over and over, taking it i also need MSO/MCO  also

is thhis correct?

You need the MCO/MSO or the title. Period. You might be able to get the state DMV to create a replacement but it would be in the last owner of records name, assuming there is no lien on it, you could have it sent to that person, hope they are still at the address and write a letter, begging to sign the title over to you. However... they could just as easily claim ownership and arrange for the vehicle to be recovered.

Any of those certificates are proof of ownership. If you can, have the state police run the VIN's of the bikes you are interested in and ask them if they come back stolen and if not, are they titled to a person or to the manufacturer/dealer?

• Like 1

Almost every state is different in this aspect, many dont require titles for orvs, some dont even issue them altogether. Most states seem to have a process for titling a bike bought from one of these states and brought back. Honestly the best thing to do if VA is that sttict is to figure out why the bike doesnt have a title and see what the situation is from there.

In Michigan I beleive that bike would be under the age/price threshold and as long as its not stolen or have a lien against it you just need to file a form and wait a few weeks.

Ive had good luck with the police running the vin, some wont but most will, and you can get the registered owners info by filing a form, paying and waiting.

Edited by CRFRida1605
  • Like 2

Hasn't this subject been flogged ad nauseum?

41522edb4f42599180c0c0982df855213164a957

• Like 2

i know its been done before..but just arrived, still have my coat on..

when i was in connecticut i had a mr175 and a pe250..registered them w/ no problems.

i know few years ago but now in virginia..like to know before buying

thanks again

ron  

• Like 1

I'd be very suspect of any bike that the 'owner' does not have paperwork for. How about the original invoice from the dealer?

Every dirt bike I've owned doesn't have a title. Street bikes are a little different, but all I need is a quick VIN check online and a bill of sale for my motocross bikes. Plus, he's looking at an '003 and an '06. Very possible that neither are 1 owner bikes.

Every dirt bike I've owned doesn't have a title. Street bikes are a little different, but all I need is a quick VIN check online and a bill of sale for my motocross bikes. Plus, he's looking at an '003 and an '06. Very possible that neither are 1 owner bikes.

Every bike I have ever bought has had a title. I'd never buy one without it. In many states, possession of the title is also the legal owner. If the police impound your bike, you must produce the title to get it back. If your bike is stolen, you must produce the title for recovery. If you file an insurance claim, the insurance company will want the title.

• Like 1

Most of the dirt bikes I owned early on had no titles. Many states did not title dirt bikes, only street bikes. Since a dirt bike is not street legal, no title.

Bikes were sold with a bill of sale at best.

Colorado recently started to title dirt bikes, but that has only been in the last 3 years or so. Prior to that you registered it as an ohv, but no title.

I would take the vin# and see if it's stolen, if not go for it.

Every bike I have ever bought has had a title. I'd never buy one without it. In many states, possession of the title is also the legal owner. If the police impound your bike, you must produce the title to get it back. If your bike is stolen, you must produce the title for recovery. If you file an insurance claim, the insurance company will want the title.

In Texas I had a yz stolen right out of my garage, the dude that stole it was casing my place, the police, knew who I was, and helped my retrieve my bike, no title no bill of sale, no nothing. High five to Texas police!!!!!

I've never lost a title in my life. It seems every used bike craigslist ad here says, "no title". How irresponsible are these people? And if you are the original owner and lose the title, go get a replacement before you try to sell it. I don't get it. I'll never buy a bike without a title.

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 1

In Kansas we don't have to title a bike. You get the MSO from the dealer and you're done. The law is that way because of the farmers not wanting to pay fees for their 4 wheelers. Most here buy their bikes in Missouri and pay no sales tax either. It's all legal and saves a lot of money.

In Kansas we don't have to title a bike. You get the MSO from the dealer and you're done. The law is that way because of the farmers not wanting to pay fees for their 4 wheelers. Most here buy their bikes in Missouri and pay no sales tax either. It's all legal and saves a lot of money.

An MSO/MCO IS a title, just the Federal one.

Sure, you can skip out on paying sales tax assuming no one finds out (they rarely do). And no, not paying sales tax is not legal.

Few states require a title for a vehicle not registered for on road use. A few do (like California, I think Colorado just started to).

However.... if you read the OP's first post, he is trying to get plates for a bike in Virginia (not Kansas) and seems to not be able to find a bike with a MCO/MSO or a title.