Sign in to follow this  

Motocross New helmet design could eliminate concussions?

I bet it is very similar to the 6D or Bell Flex design with an air system to achieve "the perfect fit". Football helmets have been stuck in the past in terms of tech for some time now. The padding system has not changed since I started playing football over 20 years ago. There have been minor upgrades but nothing ground breaking. The shell design has come a long way though. 

If you do a simple study, you'd see there is no way to prevent a cuncussion, sad but true. I guess helmet technology could help by adsorbing the energy, but it won't stop them completely. 

• Like 3

Football helmets have been stuck in the past in terms of tech for some time now. The padding system has not changed since I started playing football over 20 years ago.

Football helmets in general have been long over due for some decent technology, MX usually has the newest protection tech available. Its not going to be a cure all by any means but its better than nothing!

• Like 1

Football helmets in general have been long over due for some decent technology, MX usually has the newest protection tech available. Its not going to be a cure all by any means but its better than nothing!

Agreed.  I think we're seeing (very) slow and steady improvements, but like kawi380 said, not falling down is what is going to prevent concussions.  The head is still going to stop before the brain, so that impact, while lessened, is still going to happen.

Absolutely! But it still is not going to stop concussions as the title leads people to believe. 

Absolutely! But it still is not going to stop concussions as the title leads people to believe. 

That's probably why they put the word "could" in the headline

The only reason they put the word "could" in the title is because they know the average reader is dumb enough not to process that single word. 

• Like 1

The only reason they put the word "could" in the title is because they know the average reader is dumb enough not to process that single word. 

Effective "click bait" is what I would call that

• Like 3

Looks like a press release written to look like a news article.

Old school. Concussions are caused by sharp blows to the head. Put armor around the head.

New school. In addition, concussions can be caused by the brain rattling around inside the skull. Try to lower the G force of impacts.

Even them saying could is ignorant.. Concussions will never be fully avoided, not in our lifetime anyway. Edited by viper1549

It's not the "could" part that is the problem. It is the "eliminate" part that is total bs. You can design a helmet that reduces the severity and occurrence of concussions but it is not possible to eliminate them completely.