Sign in to follow this  

BritishColumbia Road trip! Ontario to BC, where to dirt ride along the way?

Next summer my family and I are taking the camper out to the west coast from our home here in Ontario.

My 6 year old son and I are of course bringing our dirt bikes (XR50R and CRF250X).

If anybody has any input on good places to camp along the way with our camper so the boy and I can ride and the wife and daughter can enjoy girly stuff would be great!

I am thinking we will take the southern route through Regina, Calgary etc there and the northern route home, if time permits.

I plan on taking them through the badlands and to the tyrell museum (my dad wired that museum before we moved here in 87) and then take either kicking horse pass or crowsness on the way to the coast and the opposite on the way back...

Any advice or suggestions would be great!

Last year I took them to Newfoundland with the same rig and we had a blast, the riding out of Howley Newfoundland was great for us rookies!

Cheers,

Jon

IMG_1470.JPG

Edited by Jon Heron

When you get close to BC, go to Kamloops for sure. Fun for the whole family.

I'm in Squamish on the coast but PM once you get close to BC and I'll try to set you up with camping/riding camping for the fam.

Edited by filterx

Great thanks guys!
I plan on camping at lake Shuswap outside of Kamloops, is there anywhere around there good for riding? I remember camping there when I was a kid back in the 80's, beautiful place!

Is there a website or place I can go to get the location of the trail heads and or trail maps?

Whats the deal in BC as far as the legalities of off road riding? I have my bike green plated with liability insurance that makes me legal for off road here in Ontario, which I figure should be good enough for anywhere else in Canada...

Cheers,

Jon

The plan is coming together!

We are heading out on Friday and should be as far as Indian Head Sask by Tuesday and rolling into Drumheller AB by Wednesday. We are going to camp at Mclean creek after that which is very close to where I used to live and it looks like the riding will be great!

From there I haven't made up my mind where in the interior I want to go. I would like to camp on Shuswap just cause I spent time there as a kid but it is not set in stone. Does anybody have any suggestions that may be better for riding from camp as I dont see much for riding from the campground on Shuswap? We are hauling a 27' camper and want to be on water. 

What is it like around Revelstoke?

Wide open to suggestions!

Cheers,

Jon

Some fun places to ride in Alberta as well. There used to be areas along the Bad Lands like Tolman Bridge and Morrin Bridge just north of Dinosaur national park (Drumheller) and has the same type of terrain. It used to be open for camping and riding but you'd need to check that out now. Super fun to ride and explore. There were quite a few places to ride along the river valleys and in the foothills to the Rockies in AB around Sundry and Rocky Mountain House but it's been a very long time for me. There are riding trails all through out BC and I'll bet with a key word search you'll find great places to stop like Bear Creek in Kelowna.

• Like 1

McLean Creek is nothing short of awesome. Make sure you get off the truck trails & quad trails and hit the higher elevation single track. Right now the lower trails and quad trails are soaked and full of huge puddles.

There is good riding all down the eastern slopes of the Rockies and loads down around Crowsnest Pass.

We are going down to Revelstoke for the Sep long weekend. Just wanna try it out.

Once you are down in Vancouver you absolutely have to hit Blue Mountain (McNutt). It is crazy fun and unlike anything else I have ridden.

Edited by CDNSXV

I need to get past Kamloops and ride Revie and AB sooner than later But so little time 🙂

The drive is shitty but I guarantee SW Alberta would be worth it. There is a ton of big challenging, extreme terrain in McLean Creek.

About 100 kms to the north is Waiperous which is a massive riding area hundreds of square kilometres of amazing terrain.

I lived outside of Bragg Creek in the 80's and did lots of horse riding around the Mclean creek area, looking forward to riding my X around there now!

We only have 2 weeks so we wont be making it to the coast, we may not even make it to the interior depending on how it goes...

We are hitting dinosaur park and the Tyrrel museum on the way to the Rockies if we spot any decent riding I will report back.

You really need 3 weeks for this trip but who can afford that much time off work...

I appreciate all the input folks!

Cheers,

Jon

Last night we went exploring in the NE corner of McLean Creek and found some pretty fun and very gnarly "truck" trails. It was obvious there is very little traffic on these trails which is likely due to how steep they are.