Sign in to follow this  

Maine 'tard!

Repeat DRZ consumer, here. A bit of history:

At age 38 I bought a new "S" model in 2007 after having owned numerous dirt and road bikes earlier in life. Loved the bike immensely but found myself on the pavement more often than not. Even stock with DOT knobbies it was the most practical, funnest bike I'd ever ridden on the street, and occasionally, offroad. No mods except 3x3 and JD jet kit. I also managed a few long distance trips that I documented here. Sadly, all the road riding got me thinking I needed something more road-specific. DRZ got traded in on an '08 Hayabusa. A year later I sold the 'busa when it simply stopped being fun.

Fast forward to last month, when the idea of a dual sport bit me again after having moved to coastal Maine and falling in love with the place. I walked into the dealership prepared to commit to an XR650L after having researched it exhaustively online. Throwing a leg over that thing for the first time turned me off immediately, as it felt wickedly top heavy and bulky as shit. The Big Red Pig didn't leave a positive impression at all. It felt like the engine was INSIDE the gas tank.

A few bikes over was a new 2015 DRZ400SM. Sat on it and was immediately impressed by the balance and (comparatively) light weight. Felt like a feather after the Honda. I was sold.

Almost a month later and I've spent my paychecks wisely: Fly F2 carbon fiber moto helmet. Icon knee protectors. Icon Stryker chest rig. Leather gauntlets. Alpine star boots. Cycra Probends. TT case guards. Edge tail light/blinker assembly. Full Yoshimura RS-2 system. Next paycheck will bring an FCR 39 kit from TT, Icon shorts with the hip protector inserts, and some appropriate kevlar jeans or something similar. When the weather improves I'll break it in stock, then apply the carb and exhaust mods after a few hundred miles.

I'm looking forward to enjoying New England by supermoto this season, and hoping to run into some TT'ers along the way. I know you're out there!

Keep an eye out for a silly old &%$#@!er on a 'tard... it may be me.

• Like 3

Welcome back! Looking forward to some local pics from you. They don't need to have a lighthouse in all of them! 👍

• Like 1