Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a stret legal dirt bike, KTM?

Hello, I am currently looking for a California Street Legal dirt bike. I have seen a few Hondas and Yamahas around but see a lot more KTMs. I currently have a YamahaWR450f and do not know much about KTM. The majority my riding is desert trails with soe hill climbing here and there. I also plan on doing some short commutes on the street, hence the need for the Ca plate. It looks like the EXC is the main model that is street legal. I see 450, 500, 525 and 530 available. I am looking for any suggestions as to what years are known to be better than others and such. Any info is much appreciated!! Thank you!!!

as far as i know esp. in commifornia, the 2012+ 350 and 500 EXC's are the only ones that come factory with a plate. the EXC's pre-2012 were more in line with the XCW's of now.  BUT maybe you can still easily plate EXC's prior to 12'? < id say its worth looking into if not going new.

2007 and newer EXC 500/525/530's were all CA plated from the factory. I'll defer to the 350 and 450 models. Don't know when they started coming out.

The EXCs are all great bikes. It really just comes down to what size you want and how big of a budget you have. If you can swing a 2012+ you'll get the current design with fuel injection. Just pick 350 or 500, lots of info here on that choice, it all depends on how and where you ride. The previous generation EXC, 2008-2011, is also a great bike. They came in 450 and 530. All of these are street legal.

I see 450, 500, 525 and 530 available. I am looking for any suggestions as to what years are known to be better than others and such. Any info is much appreciated!! Thank you!!!

Starting in 2012 the new generation of street legal out of the box EXCs became available....This includes the 500 and the 350.  Since you ride the desert...the 500 probably makes more sense.

Both the 350 and 500 have proven to be very robust and relaible engines and can be significantly improved with some simple refinements like re-mapping to the EU or XCF-W map, an adjustment to the TPS (go to tpstool.com)...de-smogging the bike and most definitely changing the sprockets to reflect a more usable gear ratio.

De-smogging the bike may make you noticeable to the "trail police" that I understand patrol the off-road trail systems in California.  However, as far as I know there is no way for them to detect a re-mapped bike or an adjusted TPS....and I suspect they are not likely to be out checking your sprockets....but I could be wrong about that.

I rode a WR450 for several years and then moved to a 350XCF-W that comes stock with a better map, better gearing and no smog equipment.  It's also way better than a 500 in the tight north eastern woods where i ride.  Best thing I ever did...and I got a full street legal plate....but I'm not in California.  I loved my bullet proof WR....but it was just way to heavy for tight woods riding.....and just way to heavy period.

I would suggest that a 2012 or later 500EXC would be a good bet. . Do a re-map, adjust the TPS and adjust the gearing to suit your abilities/conditions....it would be an ideal bike for California desert riding....fully street legal, tweaked out enough to make a real difference but not so much that you will be "busted".

Good luck.

• Like 1

I also live in So Cal , mostly ride fire roads and some single track and love my 15 500exc , my husqvarna is s blast also, good luck.

I know this is the KTM section but don't forget to look into the Beta 430, 500 RS

Edited by Enduroguy
  • Like 1

I have a similar yet different question for anyone. I am considering purchasing a new KTM500. i currently do not want to have the bike plated. Not interested in paying insurance/registration for another street legal bike right now that will not touch the pavement. If i were to buy one of these 500's, could i plate it in the future here in CA? Or the fact that it is not plated when i buy it going to change my options?

Hello, I am currently looking for a California Street Legal dirt bike. I have seen a few Hondas and Yamahas around but see a lot more KTMs. I currently have a YamahaWR450f and do not know much about KTM. The majority my riding is desert trails with soe hill climbing here and there. I also plan on doing some short commutes on the street, hence the need for the Ca plate. It looks like the EXC is the main model that is street legal. I see 450, 500, 525 and 530 available. I am looking for any suggestions as to what years are known to be better than others and such. Any info is much appreciated!! Thank you!!!

07 the only year for the RFS 450/525 motor in a dual sport. They are pretty mellow powerbands and very reliable.

08-11 was the 450 and 530. I guess some early models had oil pump issues, but most seem pretty reliable.

12+ is the 350-500. The best performing bikes, but also the priciest. 

Also look at Beta RS models and any 06+ Husky Te. I own an 07 Te 450, it's not the latest and greatest, but is a pretty solid bike.

• Like 1

I have a similar yet different question for anyone. I am considering purchasing a new KTM500. i currently do not want to have the bike plated. Not interested in paying insurance/registration for another street legal bike right now that will not touch the pavement. If i were to buy one of these 500's, could i plate it in the future here in CA? Or the fact that it is not plated when i buy it going to change my options?

You can register it as an off highway vehicle for now and then get a plate at a later date if you want. The bike is street legal but has to be registered as something or NonOP.

Thanks. I spoke with the dealer today, and they claim that if it is bought as an off-road, the dmv will not allow me to make it a legal ca plated bike. I didn't think about the non op, but since I would be financing, I'd have to keep insurance and registration up till I pay it off, before non op. That would be dual purpose if I could keep off road for now and plate it later. Last new bike I bought was off road only, so wasn't an issue. Thanks again for the input.

Thank you all for the information regarding the KTM and its different models. I am still looking and cruising the forum and learning a lot about the KTM. So far im liking what im seeing!!! Thx again!!!

I just picked up a 16' 500 EXC and all I can say is WOW. I absolutely love this bike. I added a FMF 4.1, EU mapping, de-smogged, Acerbis 3.0 tank, and 14/50 gearing. I currently have it on the stand changing out the springs for my weight and setting sags. I'm sure you'll be quite happy with that bike if you choose it.

• Like 1

I just picked up a 16' 500 EXC 

I'm looking at this also.   How much can i expect to pay  ..out the door  ..here in California ?

Great Thread

I'm looking at this also. How much can i expect to pay ..out the door ..here in California ?

Great Thread

Ktm dealers in ca don't want to haggle much. They know it's nearly impossible to plate a non street legal bike in California. So they pretty much stick to top dollar. I paid $11,500 otd I think. Edited by Deepseadan

Mine was around the same price. I went to 3 dealers and all of them were around the same price. Where I found they would work with me was on accessories. That's why I decided to get the pipe, mapping, and a few other items added on.