Sign in to follow this  

1998 yz250. Jetting question

I'm at about 600 to 700 ft sea level. I was wondering if a 165 mAin and a 48 pilot would be ok on a 98 yz250 it has a fmf fatty and a shorty. Been running 32:1 would that need to be be leaned as well

Ok I got a 165 main and a 48 pilot I am going to install and hope for the best

Will 32:1 ratio be ok with that and is that too lean for winter on the main

Ok put the stock needle on the third position in with the 165 main and the 48 pilot...it runs and just stays loaded up and never will clean out. Then I remove the 165 main and realize I tightened it too much and it was probably broke the whole time after installed,so.. I put the 170 main in and again it stays loaded up spooging out of the silencer and everything.so I put the non stock needle back in along with the 170 main and the 38 pilot and it will clean out no idle as usual no matter the adjustment. Idk what else to do and this does not make any sense

Top end was supposedly done from previous owner and last compression test was at 140psi. Reeds are unknown last mechanic that pulled them out said they are in good shape but I'll double check that myself. Just does not make any sense how I put the stock stuff in it and it makes it run worse

I'm leaning towards bad reeds possibly I'll have to check them asap. Also I'm not very sure in how good gas consumption should be in a 2t but it definitely drinks a lot of gas in my opinion

Kinda thinking I have the wrong carb on it. Part numbers are not adding up

Model number on the bowl is different than what the One I keep seeing is supposed to be there

The number on my current carb is 4xl-00kjf or 4xl-00kgf apologies my father couldn't see it very well when I called

Part numbers do not match for 96-98 and also the 98 part number on the carb starts with bdj. Yamaha place told me they are stand alone years if that means what I think it does

It is probably a replacement carb. I believe my part # was similar when I replaced the carb on my 96. I can't say that for sure though as I no longer have the bike. 

I would start by doing a visual inspection of the reeds and do another compression test. Just because the top end was new doesn't mean that they replated to bore. Every Yz250 I have ever done a compression test on has been closer to 200 psi. 140 seems low to me, even if the gauges read slightly different.