Sign in to follow this  

Mystery Forks on 09 CRF 450R?

New to the forum and had a question for you guys.

Long story short, this bike was basically given to me from the not original owner and I have no way of asking the original owner any questions.

As far as I can tell, the forks on my 2009 CRF 450R are not stock, but I can't figure out what they are. I have tried attaching a photo of the setup, but as I said I'm new to the forum so let me know if it didn't work.

If you have any insight into what the fork situation on my bike is please feel free to comment.

Thanks,

-Eric

-Edit; New photo added (1/14/16)

forks 01.jpg

forks 1.jpg

IMG_2932.JPG

Edited by ericcish

It's hard to tell from those photos. Try and take a photo of the top of the fork cap and another one showing the length of the brake side showing the seal. I can compare it to my 09 and the other Honda's I own. The brake rotor looks like the one on my CR.

Edited by Dklassen

It's hard to tell from those photos. Try and take a photo of the top of the fork cap and another one showing the length of the brake side showing the seal. I can compare it to my 09 and the other Honda's I own. The brake rotor looks like the one on my CR.

I will work on getting a few other, better photos and get them posted when I get a chance.

Thanks for the response.

Why do you think they aren't 09 CRF450 forks?

From the pictures you posted, they look like 09 crf450 forks, with uppers that have either been glass beaded, or anodized a lighter color.

Jason

Those are the stock forks on a bike that hasn't been taken care of. That poor bike is a filthy mess and it looks like the original gold anodizing has faded away due to the bike being stored outside or some sort of harsh cleaner. It has applied clamps and a suspension shop sticker indicating they were revalve at some point during its life. If the bike was basically given to you, tear it down and show it some love.

Those are the stock forks on a bike that hasn't been taken care of. That poor bike is a filthy mess and it looks like the original gold anodizing has faded away due to the bike being stored outside or some sort of harsh cleaner. It has applied clamps and a suspension shop sticker indicating they were revalve at some point during its life. If the bike was basically given to you, tear it down and show it some love.

If that were the case wouldn't I still be able to find remnants of the gold under the clamps and other places where the sun don't shine? I'm working on getting her back in tip top shape and ready to rail some berms  :ride:

For those with '09 or similar bikes; is there something on the stock forks I can look for that would implicate mine being stock. Thanks

If that were the case wouldn't I still be able to find remnants of the gold under the clamps and other places where the sun don't shine? I'm working on getting her back in tip top shape and ready to rail some berms :ride:

True. Maybe the "suspension tuner" stripped the anodizing off to make it go faster!? Remember there are a lot of special people in this world doing all sorts of silly things.

I will work on getting a few other, better photos and get them posted when I get a chance.

Thanks for the response.

I looked at my bikes and the top looks like the 09 CRF, it's not like the CRF250R or CR250. Perhaps you could contact the suspension company who put their decal on them.

I looked at my bikes and the top looks like the 09 CRF, it's not like the CRF250R or CR250. Perhaps you could contact the suspension company who put their decal on themI 

I tried calling the shop already with no luck. Thanks for looking at your bikes though.

What is the part # codes fork lug, the the letters will be embossed inside of the axle lugs.

If it is MENL-L on the brake side and MENL-R of the other side, then at the seals and bushings from 2009 CRF450 will work.

Since without seeing if anything has been changed internally, you will have to deal with that as you go.

Also, take some polish on a paper towel and rub the upper fork tube. If the towel turns black, then someone stripped the hard anodizing of the out side of the forks.

Jason