Sign in to follow this  

2005 TTR 125 Problem

I just bought myself a 2005 ttr 125 yesterday because i wanted to get into motocross since my quad is being worked on at the moment. I bought the bike for 460$ knowing there was going to be problems. The electric start does not work and i would like to fix it but i dont know how. Also when cold the bike takes atleast 20 kicks with the bike in choke for it to start. Lastly the bike leaks gas if tilted on the left side. I need help fixing the electrical problem, kickstart taking forever and the issue with the gas leak. I know that there are 2 hoses not connected to the carb and one of the hoses leaks fuel when idling. Its a very fun bike i just want it to be sound so i know i dont run into andy bigger problems in the future.

I just bought myself a 2005 ttr 125 yesterday because i wanted to get into motocross since my quad is being worked on at the moment. I bought the bike for 460$ knowing there was going to be problems. The electric start does not work and i would like to fix it but i dont know how. Also when cold the bike takes atleast 20 kicks with the bike in choke for it to start. Lastly the bike leaks gas if tilted on the left side. I need help fixing the electrical problem, kickstart taking forever and the issue with the gas leak. I know that there are 2 hoses not connected to the carb and one of the hoses leaks fuel when idling. Its a very fun bike i just want it to be sound so i know i dont run into andy bigger problems in the future.

There's a safety circuit pull the clutch in when you try to use the electric start that may help if not you can by pass the safety circuit and test it, I'd verify the battery is charged, it could be the solenoid too should be easy to get it sorted out once you do some testing with a multi meter, also a carb rebuild kit will help your starting issues and leaking gas is probably from the float in the carb sticking, the carb service will sort that issue out, look up the free mods too it will make the bike perform better, you can also rejet to 17.5 pilot and 110 main.

Edited by yzdude250f

I put in a new battery and it still doesnt work even with the clutch pulled in. I dont even hear any noise when pressing the start. As for the carb thank you, should i go for a factory ttr carb or a aftermarket carb? If so do you have any recommendations?

• Like 1

Before we go any further are the fuses intact they are located near the battery,

The fact your not even clicking a solenoid makes me think your problem lies within the safety circuit, on the clutch lever there should be two wires to a switch mounted within the lever perch , follow them down to where they plug in on the frame (under the gas tank), I'd by pass it by touching the wires together to complete the circuit.

if you have a multimeter you can test for power on the little wires that go to the solenoid , when you hit the start button it should send a 12v signal thru the signal wires to the solenoid to pull the contacts shut, also one post on the solenoid, on the battery side should have 12v constant verify this aswell, obviously once the contacts closed the other post will become hot and send 12v to the starter. Odds are if your getting power thru the signal wires and the contacts within the solenoid don't pull shut a bad solenoid is your culprit, you can by pass a solenoid by touching a screw driver between the two post on it to turn the engine over, this will by pass both the solenoid and safety circuit.

No need to purchase a carb either a rebuild kit runs about 30 bucks

Edited by yzdude250f

Before we go any further are the fuses intact they are located near the battery,

The fact your not even clicking a solenoid makes me think your problem lies within the safety circuit, on the clutch lever there should be two wires to a switch mounted within the lever perch , follow them down to where they plug in on the frame (under the gas tank), I'd by pass it by touching the wires together to complete the circuit.

if you have a multimeter you can test for power on the little wires that go to the solenoid , when you hit the start button it should send a 12v signal thru the signal wires to the solenoid to pull the contacts shut, also one post on the solenoid, on the battery side should have 12v constant verify this aswell, obviously once the contacts closed the other post will become hot and send 12v to the starter. Odds are if your getting power thru the signal wires and the contacts within the solenoid don't pull shut a bad solenoid is your culprit, you can by pass a solenoid by touching a screw driver between the two post on it to turn the engine over, this will by pass both the solenoid and safety circuit.

No need to purchase a carb either a rebuild kit runs about 30 bucks

Ill try it out right away

I found the rebuild kits for my ttr were $30-40 depending brand and if it had jets or not. I spent $45 for a complete new carb off amazon from zoomzoom parts. It was a complete carb. I literally unbolted and unplugged the old one, bolted the new one in. 4 kicks it started and only thing iv had to do was adjust the idle higher so it'd idle. Mine needed a gasket and was leaking gas also, opted for a new carb for $10 more, now I have a spare I case something goes wrong. It still works just leaks a little so why not get a new one for $10 more was my thought. I can find a link if you need

I found the rebuild kits for my ttr were $30-40 depending brand and if it had jets or not. I spent $45 for a complete new carb off amazon from zoomzoom parts. It was a complete carb. I literally unbolted and unplugged the old one, bolted the new one in. 4 kicks it started and only thing iv had to do was adjust the idle higher so it'd idle. Mine needed a gasket and was leaking gas also, opted for a new carb for $10 more, now I have a spare I case something goes wrong. It still works just leaks a little so why not get a new one for $10 more was my thought. I can find a link if you need

that would be very helpful thank you

This is the one that I ordered.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KC4XSEE/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1452883925&sr=8-1π=SY200_QL40&keywords=2000+yamaha+ttr+125+carburetor&dpPl=1&dpID=41DNyvaLIJL&ref=plSrch

But here's the list as there's cheaper ones now.. If they bolt in and go you'd have to take that chance yourself

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_0_24?k=2000+yamaha+ttr+125+carburetor&sprefix=2000+yamaha+ttr+125+carb

Believe it or not iv had very good luck with Amazon working and fitting everything I ordered. From car parts Moto parts rc parts. Anything.

This is the one that I ordered.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KC4XSEE/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1452883925&sr=8-1π=SY200_QL40&keywords=2000+yamaha+ttr+125+carburetor&dpPl=1&dpID=41DNyvaLIJL&ref=plSrch

But here's the list as there's cheaper ones now.. If they bolt in and go you'd have to take that chance yourself

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_0_24?k=2000+yamaha+ttr+125+carburetor&sprefix=2000+yamaha+ttr+125+carb

Believe it or not iv had very good luck with Amazon working and fitting everything I ordered. From car parts Moto parts rc parts. Anything.

The knock off carbs are fine until you decide to rejet them or have a jet plug up and realize it's a uncommon jet and the thread pitch doesn't match the OEM stuff and your shit out of luck.

• Like 1

Iv already pulled the jets to check and everything seems to be the same. Same pitch and thread. So far no problem. Mainly was just throwing that option out there as for $10 more it's smart to just have a complete spare

Iv already pulled the jets to check and everything seems to be the same. Same pitch and thread. So far no problem. Mainly was just throwing that option out there as for $10 more it's smart to just have a complete spare

did you have to do anything to the carb? Can i leave it as is?

You can leave it as it! Other then removing from old and install on the new of choke and throttle cable it was 100% plug and play. I installed throttle and choke onto it, bolted it in turn on the fuel and started kicking. 4 or 5 kicks in it started right up. Took a few seconds for fuel to reach everywhere but once it started I simply adjusted the idle screw and she's been riding it for a little while now. Recently put a clutch in it as well. It's about a quick and basic as a carb swap could ever be!

that's good to know ! I know some knock offs work well but can become troublesome when it comes to sourcing items to service them good to know everything on your carb was OEM spec.

You can leave it as it! Other then removing from old and install on the new of choke and throttle cable it was 100% plug and play. I installed throttle and choke onto it, bolted it in turn on the fuel and started kicking. 4 or 5 kicks in it started right up. Took a few seconds for fuel to reach everywhere but once it started I simply adjusted the idle screw and she's been riding it for a little while now. Recently put a clutch in it as well. It's about a quick and basic as a carb swap could ever be!

thank you ill probably buy one right away! Does it start 1st to 2nd kick everytime now?

Iv always given at least one compression kick just to get things moving before trying to start. Yes it starts first kick! I replaced the carb as well as stuck a new spark plug in and it starts first try with little effort! Previously it would take 2-3 kicks and would need effort. New carb and plug fixed that instantly!

And yes it's good to know everything fits, I wanted to check before installing figuring I could return it if they didn't fit but everything seemed to be ok and fit.. It was as plug and play as if ever had to be honest too, something always doesn't fit or goes wrong but not this time!

Iv always given at least one compression kick just to get things moving before trying to start. Yes it starts first kick! I replaced the carb as well as stuck a new spark plug in and it starts first try with little effort! Previously it would take 2-3 kicks and would need effort. New carb and plug fixed that instantly!

And yes it's good to know everything fits, I wanted to check before installing figuring I could return it if they didn't fit but everything seemed to be ok and fit.. It was as plug and play as if ever had to be honest too, something always doesn't fit or goes wrong but not this time!

alright ill for sure get one!! Thank you