Sign in to follow this  

Need Help Manufacturing A Kick Stand

Hi All

This is my first post to TT, although I've been lurking for a few months (since I bought my '05 250x in October.)  I was recently cruising our Canadian version of Craigslist (kijiji) and found myself a really busted up 2006 230f for $500 CDN.  I couldn't pass up the deal as I really need a guest bike (and a project!)  The previous owner was completely honest with what was wrong with the bike (needed a complete rebuild) and was really easy to deal with.  I got it home, and tore it apart.  He was right about it needing a new top and bottom end.  I've never seen this much internal damage to a cylinder.

My first question: Does anyone have any experience buying used Honda parts in Canada?  It's a guest bike that'll only be used a few times a season.  Are used parts even worth it?  The OEM parts I'll need work out to be about $1000 CDN.  That would make this a 230f with a mostly new engine that only costs me ~$1500 (still a pretty good deal I think...) 

When I bought the bike, the previous owner had taken off the kickstand and lost it when he moved.  The OEM part is about $100 !!!  I think I am going to fire up the welder and milling machine and just manufacture my own.  However, I need a few measurements.  Could someone, next time they are in their garage, measure the overall length of the kick stand (from the center of the bottom pad to the center of the pivot bolt hole) and where the return spring is attached to the stand to the center of the pivot bolt hole.  See Attached Photo.

Thanks in advance !!!

L

Kickstand.jpg

Good luck on your project. In my opinion is the time + materials you will spend making this kickstand might be worth more than a 100 CAD.

Hey Yap!

Normally I would agree with you completely!  However, I currently find myself without a real job !!!!  This means lots of time and little money (another reason I can't afford your big bored top end!!!)  Also, I have a full shop that I've been tooling for 20 years!!  I may even borrow my 7 year old nieces bedazzler and make this the snazziest custom kick stand for a 230f the world has ever seen.  Normally, I'd spend this time ripping around a trial, but I'll have 2 feet of snow outside until mid April :wacko:

Anyone out there with a measuring tape?

L

• Like 1

Hey Yap!

Normally I would agree with you completely!  However, I currently find myself without a real job !!!!  This means lots of time and little money (another reason I can't afford your big bored top end!!!)  Also, I have a full shop that I've been tooling for 20 years!!  I may even borrow my 7 year old nieces bedazzler and make this the snazziest custom kick stand for a 230f the world has ever seen.  Normally, I'd spend this time ripping around a trial, but I'll have 2 feet of snow outside until mid April :wacko:

Anyone out there with a measuring tape?

L

I understand, I would've measured it for you if I had a 230f, I have 230m with shorter kick stand. :(

Hi Baja R

You are correct $35 USD.  If you click the little currency flag to Canadian, you will feel my pain!!  Add all our taxes to that number, and you end up at $100 CDN.  But, we have free health care !!!!

L

IMO:

If you really think that your HealthCare is free, you have "drank the cool aid"

IMO:

If you really think that your HealthCare is free, you have "drank the cool aid"

Nothing is free, it's all paid by taxes, but I rather have the health care in the hands of the government compared to greedy corporations. Where I come from you never pay for anything even if you do 500k surgery. Here there are so many ways you can get screwed by your health insurance plan. Both systems have pros and cons. IMO government health care is better.

Edited by Yap Yap

The arm length is approx 15", I've made mine longer by adding a bigger footprint pad. Get a stick/board and figure out what you want for length. Check out Euro type KS, they work kewl.

Thank you so much sawatch!  I can figure out the Spring anchor location when I get the Spring.  I'll post the results of the manufacturing when I get it done (about a month or so until I get home!!!)

Our Health care system is pretty good here in Canada.  It is funded by our sales Education and Health Tax (5%).  I pay in about $320 a year, to fund our health care and schools.  Not much in my opinion.  Especially when I can walk into any hospital in Canada and get treated for anything from a broken bone to full blown cancer, and not pull a single dollar out of my pocket.

Thanks All!

L

• Like 1

Thank you so much sawatch!  I can figure out the Spring anchor location when I get the Spring.  I'll post the results of the manufacturing when I get it done (about a month or so until I get home!!!)

Our Health care system is pretty good here in Canada.  It is funded by our sales Education and Health Tax (5%).  I pay in about $320 a year, to fund our health care and schools.  Not much in my opinion.  Especially when I can walk into any hospital in Canada and get treated for anything from a broken bone to full blown cancer, and not pull a single dollar out of my pocket.

Thanks All!

L

Pretty much like any other first world country and most third world countries. Good stuff.

This many posts and no one answered the question?  Sheesh folks.

Overall length: 13.5"
Spring mount distance: 4.5"

Diameter: 0.75"

The first two measurements are from the center of the mounting bolt.

• Like 1

This many posts and no one answered the question?  Sheesh folks.

Overall length: 13.5"

Spring mount distance: 4.5"

Diameter: 0.75"

The first two measurements are from the center of the mounting bo

Finally someone did it, I have the M model with a different kick stand and I felt bad that many people who have a cr230f sitting in the garage wouldn't help a guy out.