Sign in to follow this  

Top end rebuild, ome or after market ?

So, im Goin to do a top end on my 09 exc 530 soon and was wondering what is the opinion of cast v forged,ome,weisco,wossner ect

I use full synthetic oil and change regularly.Mostly mid to high rpm desert and sand enduro.

I have only ever used ome in the past and was considering a higher comp piston if available for my model ?

The oem pistons are top shelf pieces but are a lot more expensive than after market. I believe as far as AM goes, CP would be the better choice. About a 1-2 hp gain over standard as well. 

I would leave the compression standard if it were me. It's about a 1-2% hp gain for a full point of compression which isn't worth it considering the extra load on the big end. Plus you will have to have premium fuel at all times. 

The oem pistons are top shelf pieces but are a lot more expensive than after market. I believe as far as AM goes, CP would be the better choice. About a 1-2 hp gain over standard as well.

I would leave the compression standard if it were me. It's about a 1-2% hp gain for a full point of compression which isn't worth it considering the extra load on the big end. Plus you will have to have premium fuel at all times.

do you know what the approx price difference between the two are.

My last few ome yam rebuilds weren't that expensive.

Also do you know what year to replace the 09 piston an rings with or are the same, i have read they suffered with soft rings out the factory?

Not sure about exact prices for the 530's but for a 525 an OEM piston is $400+ and an AM piston is about $200-250. I would think the OEM pistons for the xc4 motors would be all the same now with the earlier pistons being superseded. Not a 100% sure though. A cross reference of part numbers for the different years should show any differences.

Thanks for the link.

Don't give them away hey.

Might have to pull it down and do rings only if it looks ok , its only done 100 hours since last rebuild but want a freshen up before fink .

I think you can pick up the oem kit with pistons, gaskets , rings and pin, around $400 in the U.S, on the newest models.

Edited by Spud786

I think you can pick up the oem kit with pistons, gaskets , rings and pin, around $400 in the U.S, on the newest models.

hey spud, what's the best store in the US to buy ktm parts ?

hey spud, what's the best store in the US to buy ktm parts ?

Its really hard to beat  Rocky mountain ATV , the kit I mentioned is $373

With our dollar being shit at the moment and shipping cost, I doubt you will come out in front of prices here. Besides there's nothing wrong with non oem pistons which you can get here a lot cheaper than the us oem price. 

Doesn't KTM use Vertex for their 2 stock stroke pistons? Seems like those would be a good option as well.

Correct

Aren't vertex a forged piston and ome cast?

On the Newer motors 2012+ they are definitely forged  (mahle pistons I believe, judging by the unique clip), not sure on the 09's

Edited by Spud786

For a top end rebuild, that is an ass ton of money. Jesus.

yeah I recon, old yam 426 used to be only couple hundred $ and done in a couple hours.

How hard are these guys too rebuild?

yeah I recon, old yam 426 used to be only couple hundred $ and done in a couple hours.

How hard are these guys too rebuild?

Mine is usually about 300, that's with je 13.5:1, oem gaskets, timing chain, valve Springs and a jug of rotella.