Sign in to follow this  

I'm stumped what make is this bike

Picked up this 50 in a trade to get my son something to ride. I traded very minimal so I wasn't to concerned with the brand. I just wanted to get him rolling. The only markings I have found say made in Italy. Any info would be great it fired up for a minute last night but deff needs the carb cleaned and I need to get rid of that horrible paint

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

LEM or early KTM 50? Hard to tell with that fabulous paint job!  A quick google image search of 1996 KTm 50 showed a bike very similar to what you have.

Already did... Plastics were pretty faded so I couldn't tell if they were orange or pink but now that I saw a pic of a 95 ktm I'm pretty sure that's it

Picked up this 50 in a trade to get my son something to ride. I traded very minimal so I wasn't to concerned with the brand. I just wanted to get him rolling. The only markings I have found say made in Italy. Any info would be great it fired up for a minute last night but deff needs the carb cleaned and I need to get rid of that horrible paint

So do I get egg-rolls with that franken bike?

Its from the era when KTMs were assembled in China and the parts were made in Italy.

You didn't ask the 10 year old girl what kind of bike it is when you traded for it?

No haha I traded some vape supplies for it. I wasn't worried even if it was a jap bike just wanted something for my son to ride. After tinkering I realized it had a lot of Italian parts which now makes sense. I read on another sight that ktm used to get Italian motors and other parts

I figured screw it... I can always get a 2 stroke running and I'm only giving him about $120 worth of supplies

• Like 1

Not sure of the brand but with that color scheme I think it's Freddie Mercurys old bike.

• Like 2

It's either a LEM or Polini. Either way, it's a Franco Morini Italian boutique race motor not Chinese. Until 2001 ktm used that same motor. They are expensive and insane little race machines. The clutches are a pain in the ass on those bikes and it's not at all a beginner bike, but if you want your kid to be competitive, it's a good race bike.

Here's a random LEM50 for comparison. You can look up Franco Morini motors for comparison and some ktm dealers can still get parts for the 3 most popular 50's they produce.

1452899378354.jpg

You will have better luck with future help in the pee wee section under special interests by the way. A few members have or have had those bikes and there are some help threads on Franco Morini motors there.