Sign in to follow this  

Cushion Drive Hubs/Sprockets

See this mentioned in several magazines as essential for bikes destined for the adventure side of riding...

Why so and what are the detriments to the bike...and what us the solution for the XRs.

You see cush hubs on street bikes. The friction between tire and paved road surface is much greater than that between tire and off road surface. Because the tire doesn't slip or spin on a paved surface with different loading from the engine / trans, the drive train sees any and all backlash from that differential loading. A cush hub is sort of like a shock absorber for the drive train.

Cush hubs aren't needed for strictly off road bikes.

I've not seen and don't know of any cush hub options for the XR.

Edited by Trailryder42

If your XR is old enough to still have a drum brake, then the even older XR wheel with cush hub can be fitted with a bit of mucking around.

Hard bit is finding one.......

My xr250l with disk brake has a cush hub.

I wonder what it would take to retrofit to an xr?

I don't think it would be needed unless you have a heavily modified engine.

You can buy Cush drive sprockets. The are new & still having the bugs worked out at the moment. A lot of people are buying them for motards.

You see cush hubs on street bikes. The friction between tire and paved road surface is much greater than that between tire and off road surface. Because the tire doesn't slip or spin on a paved surface with different loading from the engine / trans, the drive train sees any and all backlash from that differential loading. A cush hub is sort of like a shock absorber for the drive train.

Cush hubs aren't needed for strictly off road bikes.

I've not seen and don't know of any cush hub options for the XR.

zzr 250 wheels fit the xr with the use of a spacer kit, this provides cush drive option for street use.