Sign in to follow this  

HELP! Throttle stuck wide open!

I have a "new to me" 2006 wr250f that has just had the carb rebuilt (before I acquired it in a trade) and the 1st time I turned the throttle wide open it stuck... like super stuck. I can't force the throttle to close (via the grip) with all my strength. This makes me think that it is more than some dirt in the cables or a fray somewhere. Any ideas what this could be? I'm not super mechanically inclined (not comfortable taking off the carb) so I'm sure it will end up in the shop. I just want to try to be educated about the potential issues before I get hosed by the mechanics.

Edited by mbquimby

Try first to close it were the cabels are conected. Otherswise take it apart

Try first to close it were the cabels are conected. Otherswise take it apart

I'm assuming you mean behind the plate on the side of the carb... if so, I tried that to no avail. It feels like metal on metal when I try to close the throttle (there's no play or give at all).

Sounds like your needle is stuck at the top end of the main nozzle. Id imagine if the rollers on the slide are bad it could get cocked in there somehow.

Sounds like your needle is stuck at the top end of the main nozzle. Id imagine if the rollers on the slide are bad it could get cocked in there somehow.

Forgive my ignorance but are these two separate issues (needle stuck at the top end of the main nozzle & rollers on the slide are bad) or are they potentially connected?

Some people too, remove the WR throttle stop screw and do not replace it with the YZ one, which can allow the throttle to go over center. Another mistake people have made is when removing the slide, they do not reset the relationship between the slide and the throttle shaft. That can also cause binding by the ap in the blue plastic wheel behind the throttle wheel.

The needle should never be capable of pulling out of the needle jet emulsion tube and jaming. If it does happen, the needle is the incorrect one.

I'm pretty sure that everything is stock except for the carb rebuild kit to address issues with it sitting up for a while before I got it. I doubt they messed with the throttle screw

Will your twist throttle move at all? If it doesn't even budge. The problem has to be with the twist grip. Even if it was stuck on the carb end, the cable would give a little bit im sure.

You need to either rebuild your accelerator pump on the carb. Or get a boyssen quick shot. Im rather new to four strokes myself. But i wonder if the intake valves are out of adjustment,could cause a bog? Anyhow, dont be to affraid to take the carb off. If you have any doubts on how things go back to gether. Take photos step by step as you take it apart.

Well, carb issue is sorted out. Believe it or not, there was an acorn in the carb jammed under the slide, lol. A lot of people offered really good theories on what the problem might be but I don't remember anyone guessing acorn, lol.

Well, I would REEEEEALLY want know how it got in there... backfire screen removed, air filter rotted out.... rats in the house......

I'm guessing that a squirrel snuck it in there when it was disassembled by the previous owner. It must have been jammed up in some crevice where the shop didn't see it and worked its way down to the carb later.

Forgive my ignorance but are these two separate issues (needle stuck at the top end of the main nozzle & rollers on the slide are bad) or are they potentially connected?

Something else that happens. I know I'm late to this. The accelerator pump cam can catch if the throttle stop is altered.

Al

Something else that happens. I know I'm late to this. The accelerator pump cam can catch if the throttle stop is altered.

Al

I'm not sure if you saw that the shop found the issue... there was an acorn in the carb jammed under the slide, lol.

I'm not sure if you saw that the shop found the issue... there was an acorn in the carb jammed under the slide, lol.

I saw it, but maybe someone will read this later.

Al

I had the same problem. The fuel screw is either missing or too short. The ap mechanism is stuck on the wrong side of the throttle. Just remove the whole throttle mechanism and put the ap in the correct spot and it will be perfect. Also get a proper yz throttle stop and it won't happen again

I had the same problem. The fuel screw is either missing or too short. The ap mechanism is stuck on the wrong side of the throttle. Just remove the whole throttle mechanism and put the ap in the correct spot and it will be perfect. Also get a proper yz throttle stop and it won't happen again

Scroll up and you'll see what the problem was... and you'll probably laugh.