Sign in to follow this  

WR250F 2002 Throttle Issue

Hey guys! Yesterday I tried hopping on my bike and it was idling a little low so I turned the knob and had it a little higher, after I did that the weirdest problem occured. When I give it a little bit of gas and the rpm goes up and then I release the throttle, it will stay reved until I let go of the clutch a little bit or wait a couple of minutes anyone know how to fix that? To add when I go FULL throttle sometimes the bike will stall out on me if that helps. If it's a carb problem anyone got any videos for some help?

Key clue:

"...and it was idling a little low so I turned the knob and had it a little higher..."

Pilot circuit is getting clogged up.  Clean the pilot jet or replace it, and put the idle screw back where it was, or adjust the fuel screw for colder air temp.

These carbs are sensitive to idle screw adjustments.  Look up William1 fuel screw adjustment for procedure.

Key clue:

"...and it was idling a little low so I turned the knob and had it a little higher..."

Pilot circuit is getting clogged up.  Clean the pilot jet or replace it, and put the idle screw back where it was, or adjust the fuel screw for colder air temp.

These carbs are sensitive to idle screw adjustments.  Look up William1 fuel screw adjustment for procedure.

Ok so that adjustment you think could do it? If it isnt that could it maybe be just lack of cleaning in the carb?

Yes, and yes.

Clean the carb and the tank.

Hey quick question, I was pulling my bike in the garage and I slipped and the bike fell on its side, the bottom of the bike has plastic tubes coming out of the bottom that connect to the carburetor. When the bike was lying on the ground fuel poured out of one of the pipes. Is that normal?

Yes.  The carb has to be vented to operate properly.  If the bowl is not vented, it will not draw fuel properly.  Also, if the float valve sticks, fuel will run out of the overflow tube.  

Something to watch out for is mud in those tubes.  I know a guy who races a lot of off road, and got stuck in a bog.  All the tubes got plugged up.  He started up when he got it out, and a short way down the trail it started running rough.  He found the mud in the tubes when he got it home to do post race cleanup.

Also when you clean it up, be careful not to mess with the float height as that can affect how it runs too.