Sign in to follow this  

KTM Recalls Husqvarna, KTM Brand Motocross Competition Off-Road Motorcycles Due to Risk of Injury

WASHINGTON, D.C. – January 15, 2016 – (Motor Sports Newswire) –

RECALL SUMMARY

Name of product: Competition off-road motocross motorcycles

Hazard: The front wheel spoke assembly can fail, causing the operator to lose control of the motorcycle and crash.

Remedy: Repair

Consumer Contact: KTM North America and Husqvarna Motorcycles toll-free at 888-985-6090 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or online atwww.ktmusa.com or www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com and click on Service, then select Safety for more information.

RECALL DETAILS

Units:
About 3,700

Description:
This recall involves model year 2016 Husqvarna TC and FC and KTM SX and SX-F motocross competition motorcycles with 250cc to 450cc, 4-cycle engines, and 125cc to 250cc, 2-cycle engines.

Recalled Husqvarna motorcycles are blue, white and yellow and have the Husqvarna logo on both sides of the shroud covering the fuel tank. The model name and engine size are on both sides of the rear fender below the rear of the seat.

Recalled KTM motorcycles are orange, black and white with the KTM logo on both sides of the shroud covering the fuel tank. The model name and engine size are printed on both sides of the rear fender below the rear of the seat.

Model year 2016 motorcycles will have the letter G in the 10th position of the vehicle identification number (VIN). The VIN is located on the right side of the steering head.

Incidents/Injuries:
The firm has received two reports of crashes as a result of a wheel spoke failure, including one report of a shoulder injury and three broken ribs.

Remedy:
Consumers should immediately stop riding the recalled motorcycles and contact an authorized KTM/Husqvarna Motorcycles dealer to schedule a free repair. KTM/Husqvarna Motorcycles is contacting known consumers directly.

Sold at:
KTM authorized dealers nationwide from March 2015 through October 2015 for between $6,800 and $9,400.

Husqvarna Motorcycles authorized dealers nationwide from March 2015 through October 2015 for between $6,900 and $9,400.

Importer(s):
KTM North America Inc., of Amherst, Ohio

Manufactured in:
KTM Motorrad AG, of Austria

Good info this. We had a recall on our Sept 16 125sx for the front wheel (now with dealer for re-spoke) and possibility of cracking in right crankcase due to faulty mounting of main bearing, however it was fine. No recalls on our December 16 bike. You can put your VIN and delivery no from certificate into KTM website and it will inform you if your bike is affected.

there is a thread on this from several weeks ago, old news. It was on every moto website too back in December

Edited by DEGBTI
  • Like 1

If you don't have the letter you don't need to worry

Letter - what letter. We didn't get one (yet maybe?) for either 16 bike. I had to check myself - learned of this through forum info then contact my dealer to get the work done. That's in the UK.

• Like 1

I just received my recall letter from ktm today for a he fuel line. 16 sx450 pu chased in August

I just received my recall letter from ktm today for a he fuel line. 16 sx450 pu chased in August

yeah me too, and I already had it fixed over a month ago, just because someone didn't receive a letter yet doesn't mean they're bike isn't affected
  • Like 1

What are they doing to the bikes? Just spokes or a whole new wheel?

What are they doing to the bikes? Just spokes or a whole new wheel?

I just had mine done; the dealer laced up all new spokes on the original wheel & hub.

I just went to the KTM website. Like a few of you said, just put my VIN in. My bike doesn't have any recalls.