CRF230F: Remove airbox snorkel?

Hi Guys-

I have a 2013 230F with stock exhaust and K&N filter. I bought the bike this way and the jetting seems good so I'm not sure what the original owner is running. The stock exhaust still has the baffle in place. I like it this way because I'm not a fan of loud exhausts. 

Should I remove the airbox snorkel and re-jet to get a little bit of extra power? What would be the best combination of airbox mods, intake filter and jetting to get the most power while still running the stock exhaust with baffle installed?

Thank you,

This has been covered multiple times.https://thumpertalk.com/index.php?/topic/137569-Sticky%3A-Jetting-the-230F-%28Power-up-Kit%29. I believe the Uni is a better filter. Remove the snorkel. Mod the baffle as ramz suggests. http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF230Fmods.htm#baffle. And reject as instructed in the sticky.

Edited by NEODS

Personally without both, you won't see a lot of difference. I wouldn't do the air box unless the pipe had less restriction.

K. How much louder is the bike with the baffle removed from the stock muffler?

Removing The air box restrictor under the seat will make way more difference by itself verses removing just the center exhaust baffle as long as it's properly re-jetted.

The most increase in available power can be achieved by removing both at the same time. But if more power is desired without ANY extra noise, a larger diameter header pipe will do the trick. (In combination with both of the above)

Edited by adnohguy
  • Like 1

I think he's asking about fitment of the stock muffler to an aftermarket pipe.  On some the diameter doesn't match up.  I do believe the FMF header will fit the stock muffler no problem though,  maybe someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by foytix

My oversized CHM header and my Powroll Header slip fit right into a stock muffler WITHOUT using the OEM gasket.

Hi guys, can someone help me? I have a direct exhaust... and air snorkel still in place. Should I take out snorkel? I have been reading that if I change the exhaust and take out air snorkel I must rejet.. but I am not sure what rejet means... is only carb? Or must change some parts inside carburetor. I don’t want to damage the motor but I live in colombia and not easy to change needle, jet or main. Is it possible to only adjust carb? Appreciate your help. Thanks

D84B4B0B-1C59-43FB-ADBD-BF87C98E7828.jpeg

7EB9F432-4B21-43C2-A4FA-E4AE231FBDC1.jpeg

If you remove the snorkel, you will need to re-jet.  You would want to get a needle from a 2005 CRF230F.  What elevation do you ride at most often?  Sea Level up to about 1500m or so you can run a 120 main jet, 45 pilot jet.  Jets should be easy to get, they are common and run in lots of bikes.  The needle will most likely have to be ordered from somewhere.

11 hours ago, Andres Hernandez Escobar said:

Hi guys, can someone help me? I live in colombia and not easy to change needle, jet or main. Is it possible to only adjust carb? 

D84B4B0B-1C59-43FB-ADBD-BF87C98E7828.jpeg

7EB9F432-4B21-43C2-A4FA-E4AE231FBDC1.jpeg

1) why is it harder to work on the carb (not easy?) in Columbia than any where else in the world?

2) you can only “adjust”  the float level, the idle mixture screw and the idle speed.

3) Why did you install a different exaust system if your not able to make it run correctly with it? 

• Like 1