Sign in to follow this  

2014 ktm 250sx stock silencer

Is it easy to change out the packing on the stock silencer? Do you have to do any riveting or is it just some screws to take out and put the new packing in?

Screws, packing, rtv silicone and some masking tape to hold the mat to the perf core once you have it wrapped. No riveting needed.

They can be had for $50 as a new takeoff. Ask yourself if it's worth it?

I love factory packing and struggle to replicate the close contact of the glass to the perf and even packing density in the can. That makes my packing jobs not as good as factory. They burn out quicker and are not as good on the throttle response. Some might say I just need to practice ... I've been trying for 20 years to get it right and still prefer a new silencer over a repacked one.

Ditch that silencer and get an aftermarket one. The 304 shorty made a noticeable difference on my sx

• Like 1

Don't they already come pre rolled if I was to buy the OEM packing? Just take the screws out and the old packing and put the new one in, I'm new to this and have never done it before so I'm not to sure

Save the time and hassle and buy a PC shorty, like HondaH8r904 said, the gains are big, more than changing the pipe and its like 100 bucks.

i was forced to put my stock pipe back on and i didnt notice a power loss what so ever. Thumbs up to the PC shorty

i was forced to put my stock pipe back on and i didnt notice a power loss what so ever. Thumbs up to the PC shorty

haha same here, kept the shorty and felt fine. I almost contemplated buying a bunch of stock pipes and replacing them when they got smashed or cracked but got a great deal on an HGS and it hasn't gotten smashed.

Repacking them is easy and costs me $10, the sound is as good buy the packing doesn't last add long as the factory before getting louder and needing a repack. $10 and 15 min time to repack or $100+ tax each time? Easy decision for me, if you want a different silencer for the performance change that's fine but no need to replace it every time the packing is bad, unless of course you want to send me the old no good ones for shipping cost.....

A shorty isn't always better eother, it changes the tune sure but may not be better for every rider and situation.

I repacked my R304 and to tell you the truth, couldnt tell a difference in sound and being quieter. A side note, does anyone else's PC R304 fit horribly? Compared to a FMF TC2 and stock silencer it is just way off? Did I just get unlucky?

I repacked my R304 and to tell you the truth, couldnt tell a difference in sound and being quieter. A side note, does anyone else's PC R304 fit horribly? Compared to a FMF TC2 and stock silencer it is just way off? Did I just get unlucky?

my pc exhaust and 304 shorty both fit better than stock on my 14