Sign in to follow this  

Is my 2005 YZ125 a 5 or 6 speed?

When I learned there were 5-speed gear boxes out there I kind of hoped mine was one of them so shifting wouldnt be as frantic (not that Id see top gear at my track) and loved the idea of each gear pulling a little longer. But I started finding conflicting articles on the 2005 as to which gear box it has. I understand that they went back to the 6 because its easier to keep the bike in the powerband etc but my bike is an Eric Gorr 144 and I figured the little extra oomph was enough to make the a 5-speed work properly. I just bought the bike and put it in storage for the winter so have no clue how many gears it has.

This   http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_yz_125_2005.phpsays it's a 5

This   http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/20176/buyers-guide-specs/2005-yamaha-yz125says it's a 6

And I've found multiple other websites that say 5 or 6.

So which is it?

Thanks.

Edited by YZ144FirstTimer

You own the bike. You tell us! 🤣

2002 -2004 = 5-speed

2005+ = 6 speed

The 2005 model has a Constant mesh wet, multiple-disc coil spring clutch. The revised gear ratios as of the 2005 model are:

• Gear Ratio - 1st Gear 31/13 (2.385)
  • Gear Ratio - 2nd Gear 29/15 (1.933)
  • Gear Ratio - 3rd Gear 27/17 (1.588)
  • Gear Ratio - 4th Gear 23/17 (1.353)
  • Gear Ratio - 5th Gear 24/20 (1.200)
  • Gear Ratio - 6th Gear 23/21 (1.095)
  • Like 1

I saw those gear ratios etc on the wiki for the yz125 but wiki pages are written by anyone so there's no gaurentee it's correct and I wanted to ask...  im still wondering why I see so many web pages saying it's a 5-speed. Is it possible different countries got different gear boxes or something like that?

Wikipedia is checked for accuracy far more than any other site. And for reference, I often use old Transworld MX or other original magazine reviews from when the bike came out.

Search "2005 yz125 review" and you will see what I mean.

• Like 1

They are simply wrong.

Ya, the more I look around the more it seems my 05 is a 6-speed. I was kinda hoping it was the 5-speed. Seems like it would be a good match for a strong running 144. Might have added up to many less shifts per lap.. not that I'm worried about having to shift more than a 250 but the less the better afaic.

Honestly I doubt you will notice the difference.

• Like 1

The 2005 and up motor is a six and far superior to the previous ones whether they were five or six speed. When I got my 06 I had a very modified 01, and after a couple of rides it was obvious the new version was an epic jump in every way. Mine's now a 144 and the best bike I've ever had.

Craigus  

• Like 1

Is it possible that perhaps you could hop on the bike and ride it and count how many times you change gear to get to top? Just a suggestion

Is it possible that perhaps you could hop on the bike and ride it and count how many times you change gear to get to top? Just a suggestion

If you read the post you would see that the bike was put in storage after purchase.

Really? Come on man 🙂