Sign in to follow this  

Why have American dirt bike companies never been successful?

Im not talking about the company's that take a cr250r 2-t and bore it out to a 500. Cannondale didn't last very long and ATK just makes the frames. I did find a thread in this but it was posted over 10 years ago, and as everybody knows things change over time.

I think it just costs too much to make them over here.  Dollars go a lot further in Japan.

• Like 1

Because the dirt bike manufacturing industry would face the same issue as any other American manufacturer. It's simply too expensive to produce here

Because no-one else in the world now owns imperial spanners to work on them.  😛

• Like 4

Not many decent bikes come from the US full stop the best motorcycles are from Europe and Japan.

• Like 2

They would be too far behind the 8 ball to start!

And It would probably handle like a harley anyway ☺

• Like 2

Not many decent bikes come from the US full stop the best motorcycles are from Europe and Japan.

well how would we know?

Zero Motorcycles, Lightning, Victory, and Empulse are making American electric bikes. 

Edited by DentonC

Bunch of different reasons... it's expensive to manufacturer anything here, we didn't really have much of an established motorcycle industry outside of HD, and it would be a huge undertaking for an upstart company. Early mx bikes came from already established companies like Husqvarna, Yamaha, and Honda. Even then, a lot of the early manufacturers faded into obscurity. Harley wasn't doing too well at the time and it's offering was a crappy rebranded Aeromacchi. If you tried to start a new company today, it would be almost impossible. You have to have the capital, engineering expertise, facilities, and dealer network. If make it through all that, you're still just another player in a shrinking market. As far as the rise in electric bikes, they're still sold in relatively small numbers and they don't need to be as good as a gas dirtbike because they're not in competing market segments. 

• Like 3

There's an American conpany who does that?! There's any company who does that?!

There isn't. There is a company that takes the cr500 motor and puts it in an aluminum frame. A company called Service Honda sells it as a cr500af for about 20,000$, but a cr250 cylinder wouldn't have enough cylinder wall to bore to 500cc. Always love when people claim extreme, impossible over bores.

• Like 1

There isn't. There is a company that takes the cr500 motor and puts it in an aluminum frame. A company called Service Honda sells it as a cr500af for about 20,000$, but a cr250 cylinder wouldn't have enough cylinder wall to bore to 500cc. Always love when people claim extreme, impossible over bores.

My uncle Bubba board his xr75 out .030 over and made it a 250. With dat and da' pipe he waz real fast in da' woodz.

• Like 3

The BIG ATK 2-strokes were Maico 250 bottom ends.

It's due to scrub union workers that are fleas.

It's amazing all of the things shipped to the US from around the world can be less expensive than making them right here and generally have higher quality as well.

Part of the problem is the people that work at McDonalds want to make $15 dollars an hour. This also is a problem in every industry in the US, people think they are worth more money. I remember when minimum wage was $3.15 an hour, I worked with people back then that didn't earn their hours wage. If you got to pay the idiots $15 or more there is no profit margin for the product. We sent all the jobs for stupid people overseas, cause the manufacturing cost are much less simply because of the cost of the workforce.​  We must admit we have a lot of stupid people in the US. Admit it you know some yourself, hell I'm related to some. We have very few manufacturing jobs in the US anymore. All the shoes, clothes, and such used to be made here. Now all those jobs are overseas, thus no jobs for stupid people,

I think it's more a challenge of establishing a brand.  That's the hardest part.  We also don't have an established low-cost supply base for all the moto components.  I don't think cost of labor has that much to do with it.  Heck, Hundai cars are made in Montgomery Alabama.  Not to mention Japanese and good old USA brands.

This question made me think of another question. The company I work for is desperate for qualified machinist to make product right here in the USA.  These are good paying jobs in an easy-going workplace.  Our region is quite competitive and there are plenty of jobs around.  It seems like the number of people willing to learn a skilled technical trade and earn a good living are very few.  This concerns me a lot more than a USA made dirt bike.