Dr 650 hayabusa exhuast

The 'busa muffler (24fo) is basically the same as the GSXR 600 / 750 (35fo) and the GSXR 1000 (40fo).  The difference is that the mounting point on the 'busa is different than the 600 / 750, while the 1000 has a slightly bigger core and it's a little lighter.

I've got the 35fo on my '03 DR with a Pro Cycle mid pipe, it makes it stick out a little farther ~ but it works.  The Keintech is a one piece deal but it's shorter and $40 more.  In hind sight I would have gone with the Keintech ~ in this case shorter is better!

35fo_a.jpg

If you wanted to, you could modify the Pro Cycle mid pipe by removing the slip joint, cutting the actual mid pipe 2" shorter and then re-welding the muffler flange back on.  At that point it will be as short as you could possibly be with a GSXR muffler.

Do you own a GSXR muffler yet?

• 3 weeks later...

I went ahead and did the snorkel takeout and wow the bike came alive from the stock settings. Seems to rev faster and sounds a lot better. Will it hurt the bike to stay with stock jetting?

You need to re-jet.

If you have a stock muffler and open the air box up then you do need to re-jet and JD Jetting, Dyno Jet, ProCycle all have good solutions.  If you re-jet for a modified air box and stock muffler but then replace the stock muffler then you will need to go to a bigger main jet and possibly have to mess with the air screw. 

BUT !!

The big restriction in the DR650's is the air box.  If you have a stock air box and replace the muffler (FMF, Busa, GSXR ~ whatever) then you do not have to re-jet. 

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure whether to consider my air box pretty much stock or not. I have only removed the snorkel. No holes in the air box. I'm just wanting to know if the bike will be running to lean due to the better airflow. Ive read it runs lean to begin with but will it damage the engine? Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/9/2016 at 4:25 PM, Motomoron650 said:

Bought a used hayabusa mid pipe off ebay for 15 dollars. Then had local exhuast shop chop most of It iff and weld their new pipe to it. 40 dollars. Exhuast sounds awesome! Def louder but not too loud. :)

1455063854378.jpg

Do you remember if on the used busa midpipe you bought, was the flange welded or attached to the midwife or could the flage be rotated around the pipe? I ask because I found a used busa midpipe but don't know which side of the bike it was for and I might have to reposition it if it doesn't line up right with my used busa can. Thanks David